Made the huge mistake of burning some damp pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveg_nh

Sep 16, 2014
Southern NH
Wow, what a mess! The last few bags in a ton of Maine's Choice hardwood pellets I had showed signs of being wet. Not sure how they got wet, but they were. Hand fulls of sawdust and exploded pellets. I tried to salvage what I could, but obviously they were all damp. Low temp fire, and just a caked on ash that was a mess to clean. I did a whole strip down of my stove to clean it all, and it was almost like a clay dust...yuck! never again! If I ever see that again in a bag, I don't think I'd burn it.

Is that right, or wrong? Is it usually ok to burn what looks good, or should you junk the whole bag? What do you guys do? Do you have the same result when you burn damp pellets? How the heck does a pallet get wet anyway, when it's got a big ol' plastic bag over it, and then wrapped tightly with the equivalent of plastic wrap...

Last edited:
I've had a few bags like that, I try to save the good pellets by screening out the dust and wet pellets, I then leave them to dry out over 2 - 3 days before putting them in the stove. I'm using a large cooler with some wire mesh over it to separate the fines / dust and the salvaged pellets go straight into a pellet bag.

Trust me, water will find the smallest places to get into:( Never got that far that they got into the stove because I screen mine to try to keep the dust down in the house.

Depends on how badly wet they are - I've dumped 1/2 bag before getting to decent pellets. Other times, it's only been a couple of handfuls of bad pellets...

Never burned damp pellets, and from the sound of your experience...I never will:)

Wow, what a mess! The last few bags in a ton of Maine's Choice hardwood pellets I had showed signs of being wet. Not sure how they got wet, but they were. Hand fulls of sawdust and exploded pellets. i tried to salvage what I could, but obviously they were all damp. Low temp fire, and just a caked on ask that was a mess to clean. I did a whole strip down of my stove to clean it all, and it was almost like a clay dust...yuck! never again! If I ever see that again in a bag, I don't think I'd burn it.

Is that right, or wrong? Is it usually ok to burn what looks good, or should you junk the whole bag? What do you guys do? Do you have the same result when you burn damp pellets? How the heck does a pallet get wet anyway, when it's got a big ol' plastic bag over it, and then wrapped tightly with the equivalent of plastic wrap...
Pellets obsorb moisture so even the pellets that looked ok probubly from touching the wetter pellets the still obsorbed a higher level of moisture not noticeable to the human eye but noticeable to your stove from now on I would scrap the hole bag if you see it again

Pellets obsorb moisture so even the pellets that looked ok probubly from touching the wetter pellets the still obsorbed a higher level of moisture not noticeable to the human eye but noticeable to your stove from now on I would scrap the hole bag if you see it again

Screen them and let the good pellets stand for a few days to dry out, they will burn once they have had time to dry out in the room that the stove is in. I use these as shoulder pellets, they get mixed in with my so called shoulder pellets (MWP).

The fines / dust make for good kitty litter for the mouse catcher that I have, saved a few $$'s in cat litter over the last month or two.

Reactions: Big papa
My wife tells me they make really good flower bed mulch.

Ok 1 lesson learned before I do it..no exploded pellets. Question..what do folks do to screen the pellets..short and simple?

Ok 1 lesson learned before I do it..no exploded pellets. Question..what do folks do to screen the pellets..short and simple?
I throw the hole bag away its $4 for the bag and or 2 hours of cleaning time I'll just work an extra hour at my job and buy a new bag and save an hour of time

Yet is there a way I can screen them in my basement before I bring them upstairs to cut down on the dust?

Yes some people use pvc pipe and a shop vac to suck out the fines into a bucket there is a thread here the guy had pics of his set up I thought it was a pretty neat way to do it . I will see if I can find it for ya

Yet is there a way I can screen them in my basement before I bring them upstairs to cut down on the dust?
I did a quik search and haven't found it it's been busy at work so heading to bed but if you don't find the info you need send me a PM tomorrow and I'll dig into it for ya tomorrow

I recently bought 15 bags and noted that 2 had solid clumps of pellets in them. Bought these unseen as the workers brought them out from an unknown storage area (which I assumed was outside and uncovered.) I returned all 15 bags.

So is this common? I have 5 tons of hardwood pellets to use, 3 Geneva, and 2 Cubex. I'm hoping I don't keep finding wet pellets here and there. seems like a waste. I too would like to see a nice way to filter them...

I did a quik search and haven't found it it's been busy at work so heading to bed but if you don't find the info you need send me a PM tomorrow and I'll dig into it for ya tomorrow

Don't know if this was the picture you were looking for or not. I have posted it on here before. This is my setup for cleaning pellets with a shop vac, before burning to remove fines & dust in bags.

Attachments

• 141208_0000.jpg
    141208_0000.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,287
Reactions: chken
Gonna go against everyone's grain on this one, I've never screened one bag of pellets, ever. Total waste of time IMO. Thats not to say that I haven't had visibly wet ones or a clump (usually frozen like a misshapen football) in a bag (because I keep mine outside in one of the barns, where it's just as cold as it it outdoors) and those wind up in the flower beds (for the wife's mulch), but screening pellets, no way. I don't screen corn either. I buy my corn pre-screened for animal feed so it's clean enough anyway.

Dry Pellets develop sawdust from handling and movement, not from sitting stationary. My handling consists of unloading full pallets from the drop deck trailer and moving whole pallets of shrink wrapped pellets into the barn. When it's time to load my 4 plastic rubbamaid garbage cans on the back deck, I take a whole skid up to the deck via forklift, peel of how namy bags I require, dump them in the rubbamaid cans and take the remaining pellets (on the pallet) back to the barn and cover them back up. Repeat as necessary. Any sawdust I get is minimal and it's in the bottom of the rubbamaid cans that I dump out (in the flower bed) when the can is empty. They go from the rubbamaid can into a 5 gallon bucket and into the house.

I always get the pellets out of the rubbamaid can with a plastic Hills Bros coffee container with a handle and I alwys pour the pellets slowly into the pail and allow the wind to blow the fines away, if any. The wind is free.

My method may or may not work for you, but the bottom line is, 'The more you handle the bags of pellets, the more sawdust and fines they make from rubbing together. To mitigate that, don't handle them except if absolutely necessary.

I agree on filtering them to get fines out, and have felt the same. If you handle them too much you will get more dust. But the wet stuff was killing me. I'm only on the second bag of Cubex and there's a huge difference in fire size and heat output. Those damp bags were killers.

I run all my pellets into the cellar(heated and dehumidified) and back onto pallets, they usually have months to dry before I get to using them, any visibly wet bags get put to the side. I just wait until the season starts getting done and burn off those troublesome previously wet bags.

Had a handful of puffed up green supremes. Took as many out as I could of the bag and burnt the good looking ones. Noticed a dirtier burn but no wet film

I just dump the bag in mine, the auger pulls the fines up and drops it into the burn pot, I store my pellets in the heated basement :)

Every year, the local TSC uses the punctured bags ( the employees arent too good with the forklifts) to 'mulch' their landscaping. Thats where my wife got her idea for mulch.

I call TSC the 'Scratch Dent and Damaged Store' or Tough Shitte Charlies, where everything is scratched, dented or broken......

When I get my pellets (on pallets) I watch them carefully to make sure the forks go under the pallets and not through the bags..... Visiual recognition isn't high with the employees.....

Had a handful of puffed up green supremes. Took as many out as I could of the bag and burnt the good looking ones. Noticed a dirtier burn but no wet film
Same here....had a bag that was damp in the middle but didn't notice till I dumped it in..
tried to remove as much swollen pellets as I could...
Stove walls had a lot of sticky pieces on them... just didn't look right..
cranked the stove way up for an hour to burn all that mess off....

Status
Not open for further replies.