Magnetic themometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bvpbill

Dec 23, 2007
Maryland
I know this is embedded in many posts somewhere, but could not get a
clear read on the search.

What is a decent magnetic thermometer to stick on my inserts? Sources?
Regency I 1100 and I 2400.
Also, where is the best place to put the thermometer?
As always, thanks for your help.
This site is great.
Bill

I bought two, just to reduce the chance of manufacturer error. They register not quite identical, but within 50 degrees F of each other

I have a Lopi Freedom, and the manufacturer says to put it on the top of the stove (the "cooking surface") , close to the front edge, in the East-West middle, next to where the damper pull is located.

P.S. Although I LOVE monitoring the temperatures, it really doesn't matter if your stove is 400 degrees, or 450 stovetop temperature. What matters is reducing the chance of overfiring (800 degrees on my stove) or burning dirty (<300 degreesF) , and learning the pattern of stove temps going up, peaking, going down, dropping when you re-load, and rising again. Watching the thermometer every 15-30 minutes teaches me how the stove works.

The inserts, especially he I 1100 have limited top space.
I will look at HD tomorrow for the Rutland.
Thanks for the help.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.