Magnum 7500 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The2stovehouse

Dec 5, 2018
Ohio
so here is the dilemma I have. I have a house built in the 1800’s no room to install the stove inside. I have a covered porch. I realize the stove isn’t. Outside burner like the wood stoves but would it be alright to install the stove on a covered porch. It will have fresh air and the chimney would be installed according. I would be installing the heat duct through a brick wall no combustible material around. Please provide some feedback.
Thanks
Small town ohio

You won’t be happy with the heat in the rest of the home. You would be better off finding a place inside. They are just a space heater. And trying to circulate armir from the porch to the rest of the house is gonna be difficult at the least.

You won’t be happy with the heat in the rest of the home. You would be better off finding a place inside. They are just a space heater. And trying to circulate armir from the porch to the rest of the house is gonna be difficult at the least.
My downstairs is a complete open shell. The rooms are not closed off. I am heating roughly 1800 sq of house that is wide open.

Im assuming the porch has walls and windows? Or is it open to the elements? Any insulation in the porch structure? What separates the porch from your living space? How do you plan to move the heat on the porch into your living area? Not knowing your floor plan its all guess work on our end. Why not tie it into your existing furnace plenum?

Im assuming the porch has walls and windows? Or is it open to the elements? Any insulation in the porch structure? What separates the porch from your living space? How do you plan to move the heat on the porch into your living area? Not knowing your floor plan its all guess work on our end. Why not tie it into your existing furnace plenum?
I am going to install the stove on a open air porch and then push the plenum through the brick wall to get the heat into the house. (Open air meaning) just a roof covered porch the stove exhaust will go up through the metal roof and the stove will just draw the air from outside.

I am going to install the stove on a open air porch and then push the plenum through the brick wall to get the heat into the house. (Open air meaning) just a roof covered porch the stove exhaust will go up through the metal roof and the stove will just draw the air from outside.
To tie it into my existing furnace I’d have to get it down a very steep set of stairs. I am currently upgrading all my duct work for the furnace I currently have.

The amount of fuel you will burn to put a little bit of heat in the house,and,the stove may not function properly,due to the outside of the firebox being at colder temps.

so here is the dilemma I have. I have a house built in the 1800’s no room to install the stove inside. I have a covered porch. I realize the stove isn’t. Outside burner like the wood stoves but would it be alright to install the stove on a covered porch. It will have fresh air and the chimney would be installed according. I would be installing the heat duct through a brick wall no combustible material around. Please provide some feedback.
Thanks
Small town ohio
The simple answer to your question is NO. Here's the reason: It's a furnace and these 7500's and the 6500's were not that great to begin with. They had cheap plenum tubes/ where the hot air comes out. You would be trying to heat the unit to operating temp and that will never work, I tried it in a garage thru to the house. Even if you had the cold air return from the house and it was insulated it still will not work right. They are a beast to move down stairs I will give you that. Personally I would get rid of it and buy anything else. I am currently using a Magnum 3500 with corn and a few pellets mixed in. Crude old stove but works all day long. All Day Long LOL. Hope this helps save you some time and energy so to speak.