Main start up air control won't close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingolf

Oct 30, 2008
Bloomfield, CT
Hello everyone,

Just joined this site and I read it everyday since joining and love the site, you guys do a great job.

Here's my problem this is my third year with my 4100i and it is a great stove (insert). Took me a while to learn how to use it and even longer to discover what good seasoned wood will do to make a good fire.

I've had no problems with it until last night, after starting a good fire then closing down the starter air control (completely) and then the primary air control about 3/4 +. When I added more wood after a while I noticed that the wood and coals near the front were really glowing red hot. I played with the starter air control and it feels the same as it always has. Could something have come loose or blocking the device holding it open or is this normal and I've never noticed before.

Wanted to get some advice as to if anything is wrong and is it something I can fix or need to place a service call?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Brian and my snowball dog "Party" who loves to lay in front of it.

Have a fire going now and the starter air control is definetly not closing down. Is this something that can be easily fixed by myself or should I call for service? I do not see anything in the manual that shows this area of the stove.

Thanks again for any advice.

Brian

Hey, Brian. Welcome to the Forum.

I think what you are describing is normal. I have the 4300 freestanding and I think they are a similar design. The startup air comes in through the two holes in the back of the firebox. If the back of the stove were glowing, then you might have a problem. In normal operation, most of the primary air comes in the front, sweeps down the glass and joins the jet in the center at the bottom. That "jet" can make for a very hot coal bed and can look like a forge in action.

I pulled off the jacket of our stove before I installed it, as I just HAD to know how all of this worked. The startup control has a long rod that goes all the way to the back of the stove and operates a crank that opens and closes two butterflys that cover the two tubes into the back of the stove. It feels kind of heavy in operation and the first place it could come undone is the crank. I don't remember how the butterflys were attached to the crank rod, but I suspect that if there were a problem, you would have a runaway inferno. Try pushing some burning coals in front of those holes and open the startup cotrol; you will see a big difference between open and closed.

If there is a problem, you would have to pull the insert almost all the way out to work on it. I'm not sure if Quad's warranty covers removal labor, but if you had it installed by a dealer, they should work with you.

Just relax and enjoy the heat!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I had everything backwards, I thought the prime were the two holes in the rear but just check the manual and it says the same thing, however it says the primary air comes in from the front and top. What does the triangular shaped thing to at the bottom front of the box, this is where I'm seeing the coals glowing and any flame kind of blowing away from that point.

I feel relieved now thanks for your input but still wondering what the triangular thing is?

Thanks again,

Brian

That's what I call the air jet. There's about a 3/8 hole there facing the fire and it makes for a very hot fire right in that area. Try raking the coals evenly to the front of the box and watch them disappear fastest right in front of the jet. It's great when you don't have much fire left for a restart. Rake the coals right up against it, put a small split on top of it and POOF; instant fire. I garountee it!

The primary air comes from a series of 1/8" holes above the door. This washes the glass and provides most of the air. I'm not sure of Quad's reason for the jet, but it really helps get a balky fire going!

Ain't this fun??

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.