Maine Wood Pellets Co specs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gutterboy2ca said:
Grabbed a fresh off the truck Bag of Maine Woods last nite, just to give them a fair shot,gee's thats quite a contract they have landed to supply all the Canadian tire stores this year.Prob more canadian Tire stores then Home Depot stores.

Well there are going to be a bunch of cold unhappy Canadians this Winter.
Thanks for sending us the good stuff!

LoL, yeah, well thats us,always looking out for our neighbours first.Let our children starve too, as long as U.S. is happy, lol..Same thing with our Lumber, if we want our Premium lumber, we have to cross the border and Buy it Back, how retarded is that..

You might be surprised, I tried a bag of the "new" batch and they seemed fine to me. I know 1 bag isn't really a good test but I have seen a few others post about having good luck with the new batch. They may have just had some growing pains their first year, like many new businesses do.

We'll have to follow jtakeman's thread and see what he comes up with when he test the Maine Woods pellets.

This falls batch of Maines is pretty good. Could be put up against anything made in New England. Specs from Twin Ports Dated 8-10-09

Moisture 3.91 %
Ash .58%
Heating Value 8210 BTU's
Bulk Density 41.14 LBS
Fines .28%

Those are good specs - looks like the folks in Athens have fixed there problems. From customers that have burned some of the new product they are pleased with the performance.

they put my magnetic flue temp gauge on the front of my stove into the start of the danger zone....somewhere past 450 degrees on a number three setting (halfway) which is just fine for me.....better try them before you comment this year.

HYmmm, i'll be checkin that against the LG's soon Pete, just cleaned and emptied the stove so i can test Penningtons Hardwood from Walmart,Look almost Identical to me to Last Years Lignetics from canadian tire.
Just turned stove to High for 10 mins before shutting it off to temp test the LG's, on the glass for curiosity sake, Digital Temp read 569-F, i'll bring stove up to temperature and test the Penningtons after an hour to see how they stack up..

Nope Pete, sorry should have clarified bud, those were from Presque Isle maine Walmart last weekend when i was over to Bonnanza for All the Steak i could scarf down, LOL...

Had a ton delivered yesterday, they brought me 8 more bags today and took away the 8 that had gotten wet. Hoping for decent performance, but gotta burn sumthin on the shoulder anyway.

gutterboy2ca said:
LoL, yeah, well thats us,always looking out for our neighbours first.Let our children starve too, as long as U.S. is happy, lol..Same thing with our Lumber, if we want our Premium lumber, we have to cross the border and Buy it Back, how retarded is that..

Is it true that maple syrup is cheaper down here too?

BJN644 said:
We'll have to follow jtakeman's thread and see what he comes up with when he test the Maine Woods pellets.....

Having a hard time getting them. TSC has them stacked up all over. And they could be last years. They are not selling by the bag so far. They are selling other brands by the bag and Mainewoods by the ton. I keep telling the manager if he wants me to buy a ton, I need to try a few bags. He walks me to were the open ton of another band is. He say's "There all the same you know". They just don't get it. Maine choice and Instant heat are not Mainewoods! They will run out of the other brands sooner or later. I will keep checking!

jay

The new and improved Mainewood pellets that I test burned in my boiler in May sucked. I got 6 bags of them from my local Harman dealer, he wanted me to try them, I gave him my thoughts that I wouldn't pay $150 per ton for them. Maybe they have changed the manufacturing process now, I don't know, I was in his store the other day and did not see any for sale.

STallau said:
I bought 4 tons in the spring (unfortunately after I started reading this forum). I can tell by how they are burning so far it's going to be a long winter with a lot of cleaning the stove. I've seen others on here saying they have been improved but definitely recommend trying a few bags before taking the plunge. Next year I won't - it doesn't matter what the claims are.

I am sorry to hear that. Was in exactly same circumstance last year.
Two times a day shutdown for cleaning these lousy pellets !
Big party when I burned last bag !
Every other pellet I burned was a joy compared to these stinkbombs !
Can your dealer return them ? I sure would ask or call the plant in Athens (number somewhere on site).
Posters say the plant will work with you.

Yes, I would very much like to support local economy ( doing so with Maine Choice pellets which are very good),
but if Maine Woods still does not put the specs on bags, forget them, buy the tried and true pellets.

best of luck

UncleAnthony said:
STallau said:
I bought 4 tons in the spring (unfortunately after I started reading this forum). I can tell by how they are burning so far it's going to be a long winter with a lot of cleaning the stove. I've seen others on here saying they have been improved but definitely recommend trying a few bags before taking the plunge. Next year I won't - it doesn't matter what the claims are.

I am sorry to hear that. Was in exactly same circumstance last year.
Two times a day shutdown for cleaning these lousy pellets !
Big party when I burned last bag !
Every other pellet I burned was a joy compared to these stinkbombs !
Can your dealer return them ? I sure would ask or call the plant in Athens (number somewhere on site).
Posters say the plant will work with you.

Yes, I would very much like to support local economy ( doing so with Maine Choice pellets which are very good),
but if Maine Woods still does not put the specs on bags, forget them, buy the tried and true pellets.

best of luck

Hey they do work great as traction on icy walkways...
more enviromentally friendly than rock salt too

Maine Woods are in stock at our Fredericton Canadian Tire today, 5.97/bag. I didn't check to see if the specs are on the bags though. The Lignetics we bought there and burned last year were excellent.

You guys seem to have a lot more pellet choice than I do .I can either go to Canadian tire and get Winnipeg forest,or go to Rona and get Winnipeg forest .
I can get St Claude pellets at a ware house but he is more expensive,I have 30 bags of those but have not tried them yet . I think I will try a bag of those next .
Both are premium grade .

gutterboy2ca said:
Grabbed a fresh off the truck Bag of Maine Woods last nite, just to give them a fair shot,gee's thats quite a contract they have landed to supply all the Canadian tire stores this year.Prob more canadian Tire stores then Home Depot stores.

They didn't get all of them ours are Winnipeg forest products ,they seem good to me but I am green as grass .

Status
Not open for further replies.