Maintenance of heat fans, oiling or high temperature antiseize?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

monkfarm

Sep 14, 2022
West Central Wisconsin
I can't find anything like this in the discussion, although I read something somewhere about taking apart the fan and putting antiseize on the fan rotation shaft. People diss the heat fan here in our forum.
But I find this fan (ecofan brand) worthwhile maybe because of the high ceilings (12 to 20 ft) and just a little air movement helps. I have a stove fan and ceiling fan, which helps also, but it makes a lot of noise and I haven't installed a rheostat on the ceiling fan switch yet.
I find running the stove fan, and the heat fan the best combination. I have a Drolet HT3000.
While I'm on the subject, does anyone find it worthwhile to oil their stove fan?

I had an ecofan for years. It was a tough little bugger. It lasted about 10 yrs of regular winter use but eventually, it started slowing down, probably due to worn bearings. At that time you couldn't get replacement parts, you had to send it in and I passed on that option. Now you can get a replacement motor and replace it yourself. That's great. These little fans do move air, just not a lot.

Last year I got a less expensive VorHaus 4-blade fan that I placed on the trivet top of the T6. My concern was overheating it. It worked, but truthfully, I was not that impressed. This year I put it on the front edge of the actual stovetop that's about 150º hotter and this little fellow now really moves some air. It will blow a candle out at about 2ft or so. If you put your hand in front of it, you can definitely feel the air movement. This is more than I recall the ecofan putting out. I don't know if it will last as long as the ecofan did, but I definitely notice a difference.

Reactions: monkfarm
This is not a job for anti-seize. Anti-seize is an assembly lubricant, not meant for rotating or sliding assemblies. I would think some type of high temp graphite lubricant would work well.

Reactions: monkfarm
This is not a job for anti-seize. Anti-seize is an assembly lubricant, not meant for rotating or sliding assemblies. I would think some type of high temp graphite lubricant would work well.
Agreed.
This works fine for lubing small fan motors.

I had an ecofan for years. It was a tough little bugger. It lasted about 10 yrs of regular winter use but eventually, it started slowing down, probably due to worn bearings. At that time you couldn't get replacement parts, you had to send it in and I passed on that option. Now you can get a replacement motor and replace it yourself. That's great. These little fans do move air, just not a lot.

Last year I got a less expensive VorHaus 4-blade fan that I placed on the trivet top of the T6. My concern was overheating it. It worked, but truthfully, I was not that impressed. This year I put it on the front edge of the actual stovetop that's about 150º hotter and this little fellow now really moves some air. It will blow a candle out at about 2ft or so. If you put your hand in front of it, you can definitely feel the air movement. This is more than I recall the ecofan putting out. I don't know if it will last as long as the ecofan did, but I definitely notice a difference.
It must be vonhaus fans, having trouble finding a dealer; amazon doesn't carry this.

Yes, VonHaus. You could link to their website when I posted that in January. Now access is denied. This is the trouble with many of these Chinese companies. They change names or styles almost constantly. Too bad. If they just stuck with a brand and developed it, they would build a steadily growing customer base. I just had the same thing happen with a great pair of garden shears. A friend wanted to buy a pair and it looks like they stopped US sales last year. You can still get them in Germany, but in the US another Chinese company has assumed the brand with a redesign of that model. Looking at the redesign, I prefer the ones I have.