Majestic Builders Drop in DV Fireplace - gasket on firebox for thermopile wires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gdeangel

Oct 19, 2009
NE Ohio
Hello -- I'm repairing my 2005 Majestic 39BDVR fireplace which won't light. I've done the voltage tests, and after cleaning up the thermopile, it still hovers around 145 mV with the switch "on". 150 is the minimum. Sometimes it gets to 150 and it will light... but I'm pretty sure it's the culprit (spec is 150-300 mV).

Anyway, the part is straightforward enough, but I have this issue with a red silicone gasket... looks like it must have been preformed or something... that is blocking the hole where the wires pass from the valve up to the firebox. It doesn't want to peel off without breaking up. I'm not sure how I'll make new gasket on the underside of the firebox with a bead RTV silicone if I destroy this one -- the space is kinda tight and I don't know if I can even get my hand in there from below to work it. Any suggestions? From all the videos I've seen, it seems like the "pro" approach is not to worry sealing it up...

I can probably get in there but it seems like it will be awkward and messy. If it's necessary, and that's my only option, then I guess I'll make it work. But I wanted to toss it out here just in case there is some kind of alternative, like using high-temp flu tape or something like that which, in the future will be easier to peel off if the pilot needs to be replaced for example.

Awkward and messy it is, but you don't need much to fill in that hole after installing the thermopile, plus it generally remains hidden from view when everything is put back.. Just a small dollop should work.