Majestic DV Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedace

Nov 22, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Hi,
Ted here from Baltimore. I have an old Majestic model G36DVADILP fireplace that was converted to NG many years ago. The problem with this unit is that its either on full tilt or off, there is no way to regulate the heat and from what I understand no way to install a thermostat. This is electric start and doesn't have a pilot light. I have considered replacing the whole unit which will be a mess and rather time consuming. I have no other issues with the fireplace and we like the way it looks but we rarely use it because after its on for 20 minutes or so it gets way to hot to enjoy. Is replacing the guts of the unit an option? Maybe a new manifold that could be regulated by a thermostat? I don't want to do anything that is illegal or unsafe, so if the whole fireplace needs to be replaced then that's the route I'll have to take.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You just might be able to upgrade to a standing pilot set-up. You should probably contact your local Majestic dealer & see if the parts are available. 10 -12 years ago, I converted MANY Heat & Glo DSI units to standing pilots. IIRC, the cost was in the neighborhood of about $500, back then. Figuring the inflation in the last decade & I bet you're gonna be in the $750 - 800 range, IF you can get parts.

You just might be able to upgrade to a standing pilot set-up. You should probably contact your local Majestic dealer & see if the parts are available. 10 -12 years ago, I converted MANY Heat & Glo DSI units to standing pilots. IIRC, the cost was in the neighborhood of about $500, back then. Figuring the inflation in the last decade & I bet you're gonna be in the $750 - 800 range, IF you can get parts.
Thank you for the reply. I will call around tomorrow and see if there is a Majestic dealer close to me. If not, would it being worth trying to convert to another manufacturers unit or should I just look into replacing the whole fireplace with a modern one?

You are dealing with a gas burning unit & you ABSOLUTELY do NOT want to mismatch components.
CO is a by-product of gas combustion & it is deadly. As far as a replacement fireplace, that's your call.
A newer unit will burn more efficiently, look more aesthetically pleasing & will have more features than the old one.
The downside will be the cost. A tear out & new install is probably a full day job with two guys.
I would assume you already have sufficient gas line, but the venting is probably gonna need replacement, too.
You will be in the THOUSANDS of dollars.

You are dealing with a gas burning unit & you ABSOLUTELY do NOT want to mismatch components.
CO is a by-product of gas combustion & it is deadly. As far as a replacement fireplace, that's your call.
A newer unit will burn more efficiently, look more aesthetically pleasing & will have more features than the old one.
The downside will be the cost. A tear out & new install is probably a full day job with two guys.
I would assume you already have sufficient gas line, but the venting is probably gonna need replacement, too.
You will be in the THOUSANDS of dollars.
Thanks again, I certainly don't want to do anything that would be unsafe and jeopardize my family, that's why I asked. I will call around and weigh my options.

Status
Not open for further replies.