Q&A Majestic Fireplace fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a new Majestic Gas Fireplace that came with our new home. It was not installed with a blower fan. There is a wall switch with the electrical cable running down to where the fan should be. My question is is there such a thing as a generic fan that we can install ourselves? If so any suggestions on where to buy them? Or do we have to buy the name brand model?

Second question I see in the Home Improvement stores assorted varieties of Gas log sets. I was told by the installer that only the ceramic logs that came with our fireplace we can use. Is this true?

Answer:

A generic fan assembly may save you money, but also may not work. Some fireplaces have a specifically sized area for fan location, so the fan needs to be the right size & shape. Fans typically would be fitted with a bracket to secure it properly to the fireplace (reduces vibration also). The blower wire assembly (rheostat knob, sensing device, power cord) that comes with the generic fan may not be the right length to be used properly. And, some gas products are specifically listed for certain fans.

There's a lot of ways to "skin a cat" by buying a generic blower, rewiring it to fit, having brackets made, etc. But,....why? However, if you can find one that fits and doesn't compromise safety listing requirement then terrific. So check your Owner's Guide to requirements, and make your decision. I'm sure it will be the right one for you.

Regarding logs, I doubt that others would fit well and your burner may be designed for the special shape of the stock logs. Check with Majestic.

11/2007 It is absolutely critical that logs from other gas fireplaces or log sets be used with any gas fireplace, insert or stove appliances. These units are tested and listed and the log sets are engineered for appearance and safety. Do not modify the manufacturers original design.

Status
Not open for further replies.