Majestic MR42 Prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ckali7

Nov 21, 2020
Hi guys, first time poster here. We recently purchased a home with a fireplace (finally!). But, it had gas logs installed (meh). After having it inspected we were told it was actually a wood burning prefab box (great!). I grew up with real wood fireplaces and always prefer them!
So, I'm wondering what my path to burning wood should be. I'll be honest... these prefab steel boxes are weird to me, I've only ever burned fires in full masonry... Our current fireplace has had gas logs installed since the house was built (15 years ago) so everything should be in great shape. It doesn't have doors, so I guess I'll need to locate those, what about gas starters since I already have natural gas in place?
My other question, is it ever feasible to replace these prefab boxes with full masonry? Just wondering....
I look forward to everyone's advice save guidance, I know I'm a newbie here but I'm an active member of several other forums (mostly grilling and sports) and always try to participate when I can.
Thanks in advance!

I'll include some pics, it's a Majestic MR42 box. It does seem like something is missing along the sides?

Attachments

• 20201121_092251.jpg
    20201121_092251.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20201121_092237.jpg
    20201121_092237.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20201121_092226.jpg
    20201121_092226.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 137
Replacing the old ZC with full masonry would be a serious and expensive undertaking. A somewhat less expensive approach is to replace it with a modern EPA ZC designed for real heating. Less expensive yet might be replacing the unit with a freestanding stove as an alcove install, but there are clearance constraints that need to be met for this. Others just locate a new freestanding stove elsewhere in the house. This can be better when the stove is more centrally located and able to heat more of the house.

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I should have further explained that I really only want to burn wood for the ambiance, we live in South Georgia and very rarely need a fireplace for heat. The current unit is located on an outside wall and easily accessible.
Furthermore, I don't think anything is wrong with the current unit, it's never had a real wood fire burned in it.

In that case, the first answer suffices. Feasible, if you have a deep enough wallet. Have the gas logs removed and capped. Then have a certified sweep go over the system and verify that it is ready for wood-burning.

If you are going to have a gas fireplace, then fine. If you want to burn wood as your combustable, it seems logical to me to eliminate the pipeline that contains the other combustible...
I had the same firebox. I had the store professionally install a unit and they cut the damper out and ran the liner up the chimney. I did not have a line running to the firebox so that was not an issue.

If you are going to have a gas fireplace, then fine. If you want to burn wood as your combustable, it seems logical to me to eliminate the pipeline that contains the other combustible...
I had the same firebox. I had the store professionally install a unit and they cut the damper out and ran the liner up the chimney. I did not have a line running to the firebox so that was not an issue.
What do you mean " I had the store professionally install a unit and they cut the damper out and ran the liner up the chimney." ?

Different circumstance, it was for putting in a heating insert. If you have a professional install a proper gas fire starter it should be ok.

What's up with the gaps in the side of mine? Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20201121_092237.jpg
    20201121_092237.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 20201121_092245.jpg
    20201121_092245.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 124