Majestic Thulman Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Widget

Mar 18, 2023
Colorado
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am doing remodeling in my home that was built in 1972. I was not planning on messing with the Majestic Thulman wood burning fireplace. The city is giving me a hard time though and will not allow us to move forward with passing us on inspection until we provide them installation guides and I am sure there will be further discussions and/or battles.

So I have several questions as I am new to wood burning fireplaces.
1. What is the life expectancy of a wood burning fireplace?
2. When did Majectic make the L36A-L36RA-L36LA? If it was put in at the time the house was built, I have a better leg to stand on fighting for it to be grandfathered. The city will most likely NOT allow me to replace it with another woodburing fireplace.
3. It has round metal tubes vs a brick chimney. What is the life expectancy for these? And is there something I should be looking at to make sure this is in good working condition?
4. Is there some type of service I should contact to have it inspected to make sure things are in good condition and safe to operate? Chimney sweep?

Anything else I should be thinking about or considering? Thanks
John

Welcome to the forum!

The life expectancy would vary depending on use, how it was installed, etc.

For age, you may want to contact Majestic. They may be able to look up the age by the model number. They also might have a manual so you can verify clearance requirements.

A chimney sweep should be able to inspect your fireplace and chimney to make sure it is safe.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am doing remodeling in my home that was built in 1972. I was not planning on messing with the Majestic Thulman wood burning fireplace. The city is giving me a hard time though and will not allow us to move forward with passing us on inspection until we provide them installation guides and I am sure there will be further discussions and/or battles.

So I have several questions as I am new to wood burning fireplaces.
1. What is the life expectancy of a wood burning fireplace?
2. When did Majectic make the L36A-L36RA-L36LA? If it was put in at the time the house was built, I have a better leg to stand on fighting for it to be grandfathered. The city will most likely NOT allow me to replace it with another woodburing fireplace.
3. It has round metal tubes vs a brick chimney. What is the life expectancy for these? And is there something I should be looking at to make sure this is in good working condition?
4. Is there some type of service I should contact to have it inspected to make sure things are in good condition and safe to operate? Chimney sweep?

Anything else I should be thinking about or considering? Thanks
John
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, do you have a metal prefab chimney installed with your Thulman fireplace?

20190415_145844.jpg