Majestic Ventless Fireplace PilotFlame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dekforce94

Dec 7, 2023
Indiana
Greetings!

I have an older (Ithink from 1995) Majestic Ventless Fireplace. Since I moved in I did not even try to see if it worked. I just tried today and it worked! I just have a couple questions. Does anyone know if you can change the flame size to the pilot? I have to manually light the pilot. It starts fine but when lit it sounds like a blow torcher and looks like one. Wasn’t sure if I can tone it down a tad. The log set is a Majestic Log model VL21. Attached are some pics

IMG_1016.jpeg IMG_1007.jpeg IMG_1015.jpeg

Greetings!

I have an older (Ithink from 1995) Majestic Ventless Fireplace. Since I moved in I did not even try to see if it worked. I just tried today and it worked! I just have a couple questions. Does anyone know if you can change the flame size to the pilot? I have to manually light the pilot. It starts fine but when lit it sounds like a blow torcher and looks like one. Wasn’t sure if I can tone it down a tad. The log set is a Majestic Log model VL21. Attached are some pics

View attachment 320324 View attachment 320325 View attachment 320326
The pilot assembly (pilot and thermopile) on a vent free log set is the safety feature. It is designed to be that strong and needs to stay that way to function properly.

The pilot assembly (pilot and thermopile) on a vent free log set is the safety feature. It is designed to be that strong and needs to stay that way to function properly.
Couple more questions I promise (sorry I am such a newbie on this)
1. Is it normal to smell gas when it is lit? There is no smell when it is off, just when it is on. After awhile it can get alittle overbearing.
2. Is there a specific distance the actual grate and logs should be either from the front of the fireplace or back? Or I guess, how do I know if I have it positioned right inside of the fire place?
3. Last. I have a Donte Log Ignitor Valve in the wall on the left side of the fireplace. Turning the key to the left is "open" and turning it to the right is "closed" The key now, is as far "open" as it can be. However, when I try to turn the key to close it, it just keeps going. When I keep turning, to me it feels like it is getting looser and looser. I am afraid to keep turning it and break something. I take it that is not normal right? Would/Could that be a DIY Project?

Couple more questions I promise (sorry I am such a newbie on this)
1. Is it normal to smell gas when it is lit? There is no smell when it is off, just when it is on. After awhile it can get alittle overbearing.
2. Is there a specific distance the actual grate and logs should be either from the front of the fireplace or back? Or I guess, how do I know if I have it positioned right inside of the fire place?
3. Last. I have a Donte Log Ignitor Valve in the wall on the left side of the fireplace. Turning the key to the left is "open" and turning it to the right is "closed" The key now, is as far "open" as it can be. However, when I try to turn the key to close it, it just keeps going. When I keep turning, to me it feels like it is getting looser and looser. I am afraid to keep turning it and break something. I take it that is not normal right? Would/Could that be a DIY Project?
With vent free units all of the combustion products are released into the home. You should not be smelling a large amount of unburned gas but there will be a distinctive odor when you are running the unit.
The manufacturer will specify where the log set should be placed in the fireplace.
I am not familiar with the Donte Log Ignitor valve so I can't speak to that.
You may be better off hiring a licensed gas fitter to check these things for you.

If I wanted to add a door to my ventless fireplace. what kind of door would allow the heat to still be distributed out but also breath in the oxygen? Looking for a door I can keep closed while the fire is going just to protect my kids.

If I wanted to add a door to my ventless fireplace. what kind of door would allow the heat to still be distributed out but also breath in the oxygen? Looking for a door I can keep closed while the fire is going just to protect my kids.
I have attached the install manuals for the Vent free firebox and Log set. There is no option for doors on this set up.

Attachments

• vf.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 65
  • vl18.pdf
    455.5 KB · Views: 73