Majestic wood-burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wendyvh

Jan 11, 2021
new jersey
I moved into my house in 1993 and there was a old Franklin stove (majestic). I have loved this whatever it is, even though it is certainly not an efficient heating source. Long story short, a storm took out my chimney and no one will touch fixing this with a 10 foot pole. So my question is what to do with my beloved franklin stove? I'm going to replace with a Jotul f500 or VC Defiant, which if anyone can advise me there I would appreciate as well.

welcome to the forum. why can't you get anyone to repair your chimney? can you post a picture of your old stove?

Franklin style stoves are not worth much except for their weight. They are better than an open fireplace but not much. They consume a lot of wood. Once you get a modern stove and burn really dry wood, you will never go back.

1610453857304.png

not mine just a suggestion

Well, it came with the house and I've loved it for 27 years even though I know it's totally not efficient. It still heated my small house up with bedrooms closed and I'd go through a couple of cords a winter (which I usually got free but had to split myself) I just didn't feel like paying for a whole new set-up - getting old.

look for a used stove. 2 cord can (depending on your size of the house)heat the house or maybe 3 cord and you have the whole house done