Major fireplace Reno

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It looks like there will need to be a long horizontal run through the masonry. That is going to mess with draft too.

It looks like there will need to be a long horizontal run through the masonry. That is going to mess with draft too.
Yes absolutly

Yes there is 30" of horizontal run, it's got a positive pitch of 1". It used to back draft when ice cold, it also had no fresh air supply before, and across on the other corner of my basement is a dryer, hot water tank and furnace, they also had no air supply which I have added. Now even with some unseasonably warm weather the chimney is pulling natural draft, I can feel it with my hand, and have tested it with a small piece of newspaper. I know it's not ideal but it's what I'm stuck with for now and it's safe and I think will work ok.

Got my roxul and cement board up this week, also got all the seams taped and mudded since this pic. Hope to set tile this weekend. Interesting our Home Depot stocks this and labels it as heat shield, right on the label it is listed for Canada.

A0DA0A91-A682-441A-8A90-CFBCCD6D1403.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got all my tile up this week and grouted,also started laying out my hearth pad, going to be a simple dyed concrete pad.

C88413B7-3D2D-4CF0-97D1-CF0789813D52.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The ceiling clearance looks close. What is the distance from the top of the thimble to the ceiling and what stove pipe will be used?

The ceiling clearance looks close. What is the distance from the top of the thimble to the ceiling and what stove pipe will be used?

It is close, it’s 8”. Will be using ultra black double wall. Wanting to Keep as much pipe inside the house as possible.

Ok I’m not the best at keeping build threads updated or remembering to take pictures as I do stuff. Got my project all finished last night and had my first break in fire. I originally started this so I could get a blaze king but got cold feet due to my chimney setup. Some dealers I talked to said no problem, others weren’t sure. I ended up buying a very used 2006 PE summit on market place for $100 and fixed it up just to try it out, and I have always liked PE stoves. If I like how it heats the house will buy a new one in the spring. So far so good! Can’t wait to start burning it 24/7. One thing this stove bright paint stinks bad the first fire!! That’s double wall ultra black stove pipe, and it’s 9” below the ceiling FYI, looks closer in the picture.
78570577-BF2B-4FEF-8EDE-80FC2AB46D44.jpeg

DB2801F5-EA0C-4655-B4BF-B1E0B028E40E.jpeg

Reactions: MAD MARK
Been burning all day so far so good, nice secondaries, had no problem seeing 750
Stove top air all the way down for about an hr, then cruised at 550-600 for a few more. Despite your guys concerns it seems to draft strong even with my horizontal run and it’s not that cold out yet.