Major mistake when cleaning PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
Cleaned the chimney of my PE Summit over the weekend from the bottom up, 28' of class A, with a soot eater. Problem is when I pulled the baffle, I forgot to seal off the air channel, so who knows how much of that debris fell down there. Where would it have gone, and is it possible to clean it out? Thanks in advance for any input.

In a modern Summit it may have dumped into the EBT. In the original Summit A, maybe just onto the floor behind the ashpan. You could try taping a hose onto a vacuum and run the hose down the secondary tube. Otherwise it may require pulling the EBT.

I think it did clog up the EBT, and can't hear it clacking like I used to, I assume I can pull that from the bottom?

I've only removed the older version of the EBT. It was pretty simple to do. There may be a gasket sealing the EBT. If so it needs to be in good shape or replaced when reinstalling.