Making a campfire that lasts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
We all know to pack in our wood stoves tight to get a long burn, so I'm going to do that with a campfire...any other ideas to make an outdoor campfire last a long time?

We go to provincial parks (Canada) and sometimes the wood is not only pricey, but very green or wet too.Note: Cannot bring rocks. Pictured is what most firepits look like.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 171

or

Top-down burn will last longer.

A friend of mine makes the Swedish fire logs out of hemlock and spruce blowdowns. Seems like a lot of work but up front but they do burn all night. He makes a bunch at a time so they have time to dry. Heck, you can bring a bunch of premade ones and use them as camp stools until you're ready to burn them. There are different options to cook over them as well.

AD-Swedish-Fire-Torch-Make-A-Stove-From-A-Single-Log-02.jpg

There was one time camping, where the fire ring supplied was typical, except that it had no air holes on the sides. We inserted our wood supply vertically, as tight as we could, and lit it with a fire starter. A 20in tall by 2ft dia wad of sticks. Over time, I noticed that there were very little flames, and commented that a pan of beans will take forever to warm up. Pan on, sit back, they were smoking hot in about 10 seconds. Hmm. Odd. Next morning we woke to the strangest thing. The entire supply of splits were completely intact, as we left them the night before. All glowing, blue flames, mostly very hot charcoal at that point. I expected a small pile of ash at the bottom, not at all. It’s tough to duplicate, since we usually want a real campfire, you know, like, with flames and all.

Just like a stove - build a good size fire from the beginning and then enjoy the lasting heat and limited smoke from the coals. I see a lot of people limp along a small smoky campfire to "conserve" wood and the whole experience isn't great (not much heat, lots of smoke, adding one stick of wood at a time).