Making an Old Stove Safe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HandyDan18

Jan 17, 2018
Milton MA
AF1QipPcMVwGaoDJBXW3gCtE6XC3W3A8i4a4g665d89TwpDt5qHXVHXOaYmsk6RD2WzRTg
Hi Hearth Members:

I have set up a used Parlor Stove (Taiwanese) to heat my 200 sf shed. It is venting well through a thimble in the wall, but I have experienced a headache when it burns and worry that perhaps there is CO2 leakage?

When I did get it (craigslist) It had orange gooey caulk around all the seals. I removed those, now I am starting to think maybe they were there for a reason?

I hope to use this stove, but I want to make it safe...Ideas?

thanks Dan de Angeli

zO1PjJVNWjt6WSiF2

First of all get a CO detector for the shed next time you fire up the stove. I would light the fire and spend the next 30 mins OUTSIDE to see if the alarm sounds. If it does...the you can think about re-caulking the stove joints. Under no means should you be using this stove while inside your shed until you know it is safe.

Some of these Taiwanese knockoffs had very poor castings and ill fitted pieces. If that is the case with the parlor stove then patching it up with RTV is not a solution. A good quality refractory cement would be better. Or sell and get a better stove for the shop.

Reactions: HomeinPA
Some of these Taiwanese knockoffs had very poor castings and ill fitted pieces. If that is the case with the parlor stove then patching it up with RTV is not a solution. A good quality refractory cement would be better. Or sell and get a better stove for the shop.
What he said!

If this thing is sealed with RTV I'd have to go with "bad"......furnace cement maybe but never RTV.

Rutland Stove and Gasket Cement is used in the joints.
You give no information on your pipe or chimney. What kind of pipe did you use?? If this is galvanized pipe, discontinue use since the zinc will burn off and is very toxic.

A good drafting chimney will only allow indoor air to leak INTO the stove and you will get no smoke or contaminates into the building.

The heated gasses rising up the chimney flue create a low pressure area in chimney, pipe and stove. Atmospheric air pressure is greater outside of the stove and chimney which allows oxygen to be PUSHED into stove intake. This is what makes the stove work. Any leaks in the stove (or pipe or chimney) allows air to leak IN. Leaks into the stove cause it to burn faster, which is the reason for sealing joints. Leaks into the pipe or chimney cools the rising gasses, slowing them down, slowing the fire in stove as well. This also creates creosote when cooling the flue, so avoid all leaks.