Mama bear info please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Opp

Jan 17, 2019
South Alabama
E3898E15-4E88-479E-9626-F7907EF33127.png View attachment 238521 Bought new mama today could someone help any info about it. Got it in auburn Alabama. I’ll try to post pic if I can I’m a newby.Bad pics I know will do more later. Thanks

Reactions: Todd67
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new" stove!

Does your stove have a UL tag on the back plate? The UL tag will tell you a little about your stove such as the model. Does your stove have any heat shields?

I don't know much about the "newer" stoves with the arched top (Cathedral) doors, but someone with more knowledge should be along soon to help you out.

@coaly can tell you quite a bit about your stove. It might be from around 1979 because of the angle iron legs. Coaly is the man when it comes to Fisher Stoves!

Thanks for reply I will actually pick up stove tomm and I’ll look for tag and all. I like the looks of the flat top but this one come along so she’s mine. I’ll have a ton of questions for y’all this is my first woodstove.can you usually tell where it was made any way?did they make any in Alabama?

Your stove might have been made in Georgia. Carl Baughman held the Fisher license for GA, AL, and SC in the spring of 1977. Some stoves are marked by stamped numbers, some have initials welded on the bottom, and some aren't marked at all.

I don't know what stoves sell for in AL, but I would only offer $300 for it. $450 would be for a fully refurbished stove, with the rust removed, fresh wood stove paint (2-3 coats minimum), and all new firebricks. That stove should not have a rope gasket in the door channel, but many people "think" these stoves should have a gasket, so they put one in it.

Well I done ok then I offered 300 and she took it. My son picked up today so I ain’t seen it. He’s bringing it home tomm so I’ll be all up in it! Are the flat top doors and cathedral doors interchangeable? Not that I could find one but I like that look a lot better. Thanks for the info. I’m excited to get one!

I don't know if the doors are interchangeable. Someone like coaly will have to answer that question.

If the stove is in good shape, $300 sounds like a fair price. I've paid $300 or less for each of my 6 Fisher stoves.

Reactions: Opp
Welcome!
I have the same stove in my basement.
The UL label should be on the back heat shield.
You can find an owners manual on this site.
Doors are probably not going to be interchangeable without re-welding the hinge plates.
If it needs new brick don't buy them from the Big Box stores for $4-5 each, go to a building supply place and get them for about $1.50 each. The brick are actually called fire brick "Splits" because they are half as thick as a regular brick.
Proper paint is Stove Bright Black Satin #1990. Most stores that sell stoves carry it. 2 cans should be enough.
Also recommend lubing the hinge pins and draft knob bolts with a small amount of Never Seize.
Lots of good info on this site and lots of helpful members.

Thanks I was told it has all the bricks but I’ll know later today. I got this stove to heat my 1200 sqft shop. It’s not a working shop as in everyday but a weekend thing. Not concerned about amount of wood it burns so would it be ok to just load and leave door open?i love a fire so may have to build a screen of some sort.also how is the smoke with door open?

Mama Bears are not designed to operate with the door open, AKA fireplace mode. Loading and letting it run with the door open will over fire the stove causing damage. If you want to operate a stove in fireplace mode you should get a Grandma stove. Those are designed for what you want and included a screen for viewing. A stove pipe damper was also installed in a GM as this is the only way to regulate the draft in fireplace mode. Review the manual for the Mama and then look at the Grandma manual to see the difference.

I have no experience with open door burning. You will want to install a chimney damper, but I've heard most of the heat will go up the chimney. Not sure if it will smoke into your shop or not.

Don is right.

But I did see a screen on eBay for a mama/Papa bear for $50. I didn't know such a screen existed.

Don is right.

But I did see a screen on eBay for a mama/Papa bear for $50. I didn't know such a screen existed.

I think it would work if you had an 8" flue and a damper in the flue. Otherwise I wouldn't attempt it.

I imagine a run away HOT burn with door open and no flue damper

You would be surprised. Most wood stoves could operate door(s) open before glass door stoves became common. Some old timey stoves had ultra thin mica windows, but they got dirty really fast, so it was really just a glow.

Stove top and pipe temps are lower with the door open than they are door closed because of the amount of dilution air being introduced

Reactions: Todd67 and SpaceBus
Stove top and pipe temps are lower with the door open than they are door closed because of the amount of dilution air being introduced

I thought this might be the case, but I wasn't sure.

Don is right.

Either homemade or they don't know what they have. I see a lot of misidentified Fisher stoves on eBay and Craigslist.

It’s no big deal it will be closed 99% of the time anyway, just maybe when it’s burned down low. Thanks for replies, I’ll have more info on stove after while.

Well I got her! She is in great shape!all bricks are there and nothin but surface rust. It has no heat shield or tag on it. It has the name it has the name. Mark Secrist welded on it and a number 5 and a number 37708 on the ash lip. Hope that helps I would love any info on it. Thanks

That’s kinda what I thought. I had read on here that it was common for initials but I didn’t see a full name. It would be neat to find him after all this time.he could still be around you never know, if it was in the early 80’ he wouldn’t be too old.