Man, I feel weird...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
On my way to work this morning, 3:30AM, and along the road I see tree after tree cut down. Looks like all White Ash, good size ones too. I know who's in charge of the property and he would probably be glad to give me as much as I wanted. One problem. I have no more room for any wood. Almost makes me feel sick but what can I do. I think I'll take a different road to work tomorrow.

Gary_602z said:
Slap yourself! It was just a dream,you DO have room for more wood. :)

Gary

Good One!!!

Well you can leave it at my house untill you need it... :)

Gary_602z said:

Gary
If I showed up with more wood the wife would probably leave. I guess I would some room then. ;-)

andybaker said:
On my way to work this morning, 3:30AM, and along the road I see tree after tree cut down. Looks like all White Ash, good size ones too. I know who's in charge of the property and he would probably be glad to give me as much as I wanted. One problem. I have no more room for any wood. Almost makes me feel sick but what can I do. I think I'll take a different road to work tomorrow.
Man I guess i'll have to take a different road to work tomorrow to find it. :)

andybaker said:

Man, I hear you brother. I finally went out in my back woods and cleared some more space, and now I have to scrounge up enough pallets to put it on! I don't think I'd pass up free wood though.

I never...ever....ever...pass up free wood!! can't you make your existing stacks even higher??!

andybaker said:

Andy, maybe it is the county cutting down all the ash trees before they become infected. Many states have tried that and every one has failed.

As for getting them....get all you can! It is better than money in the bank.

I know what some of you mean about never turning down free wood. I live in the city and I'm concerned with getting too much and having neighbors complain to the city. It's not that hard to get the city to change ordinances when people start complaining. Besides, since I've been burning - over 10 years now and my entire childhood, I've never found it that hard to find wood. Maybe because I'm always looking and making contacts. The cities around here have been cutting down Ash like crazy. I don't take any of the city wood, it's almost all Green Ash, I like White Ash. I did pass that wood again this morning, one of the trees is an Oak, about a cord worth. That is real tempting. This year I have scrounged up so much wood that I got a trailer full for one neighbor and two trailers full for another neighbor and one of my friends I turned over about 20 trees to cut down and take. I know it won't last for ever (like this), but still, about 7-8 cord is my limit.

Hey Andy PM me if you think that wood's still up for scrounging. Thanks James

I just burn wood for my self use and it's kinda become a hobby. I think there's too much work in it to sell. As you might be able to tell from my name what I do for a living, Dec. is one crazy month.

I would be asking a friend if I could stack at their house for some beer or Christmas money or something. Heck, If I lived in town and ran out of space or was worried about upsetting the wife(mine would have me stack it in the bathtub if no other option,she likes to be warm) I would check into renting a storage unit someplace.Even a small unit could hold 3 or 4 cords and are usually less than 20 bucks a month around here. Fill It to the brim and after the season, replace your stacks at home. Would cost a lot less than gas or oil for one month than for a rental unit for a whole year. And you will only need it till spring anyway.

I hear ya, but I can always find more wood. It's just weird passing it by. In fact, on the way in this morning I noticed that most it has been scrounged already. I'm feeling better now.

Gee Andy, maybe we should come down and visit sometime. My wife is the baker here and even though she is retirement age, she still talks about a bakery or donut shop. We did come close to buying many years ago when the fellow she worked for sold his but he just wanted a little too much money. If we were a little younger.....

Hi Dennis,
It's a small world in the bakery business. Seems like once someone works at one, if it gets in your blood, it often brings back lots of memories. Sometimes even good ones. You all can come down and visit whenever. Just make sure I'm there. I do start early. I'm in one of the Toledo suburbs, easy to get to coming out of Michigan. Where abouts in Michigan are you? I've got family in Jonesville near Hillsdale, my grandparents lived in Blissfield on the river and we had couple hundred acres up near Gaylord years ago. Talk about memories! You ever hunt Morels in the spring? I've been looking for somewhere to find them around here but Ohio is lousy for finding them - too many ticks. Up north was great. Took my son up a few years ago to try and find some on some state land - too over hunted. We only found a few, but got some nice field stones. PM me if your interested in coming down.

andybaker said:
Gary_602z said:

Gary
If I showed up with more wood the wife would probably leave. I guess I would some room then. ;-)

So who do you love more, me or your Bud Light?
:)

I promised myself I wouldn't scrounge any more until the 1-2 cords of rounds and log lengths on my driveway was cleared. Then I almost crashed the car gazing at some trees the power company had taken down.

andybaker said:
Hi Dennis,
It's a small world in the bakery business. Seems like once someone works at one, if it gets in your blood, it often brings back lots of memories. Sometimes even good ones. You all can come down and visit whenever. Just make sure I'm there. I do start early. I'm in one of the Toledo suburbs, easy to get to coming out of Michigan. Where abouts in Michigan are you? I've got family in Jonesville near Hillsdale, my grandparents lived in Blissfield on the river and we had couple hundred acres up near Gaylord years ago. Talk about memories! You ever hunt Morels in the spring? I've been looking for somewhere to find them around here but Ohio is lousy for finding them - too many ticks. Up north was great. Took my son up a few years ago to try and find some on some state land - too over hunted. We only found a few, but got some nice field stones. PM me if your interested in coming down.

Andy, if we get down that way we'll stop in. We are about 150 or more miles from Toledo. 35 miles from Saginaw and 55 miles from Lansing.

Interesting that you used to have land near Gaylord. We lived near Gaylord for a while. We are not morel hunters for sure but you can pretty much draw a line along M-32 and either side is fine for finding them. I used to know many folks who would get 4-5 bushels of them in a few hours! It always amazed me how many cars we'd see on spring weekends with Ohio and Indiana license plates.

We have very few of them here. We do find one every now and then but they certainly are few and far between. But you might find this picture interesting:

Mushroominchain.gif

You know, they say don't eat steak with them - the steak will spoil the taste of the mushroom. Funny you mention M-32. We had 190 acres just north of M-32 (camp 8 road) between Lewiston and Atlanta, and not too far from Vienna Corners.

Wow Andy. That place should have been a regular mushroom factory. I can remember M-32 being lined with cars, especially on the hill going towards Gaylord.

Status
Not open for further replies.