Manager for a Price Check on "Installation"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ridemgis

Feeling the Heat
Looking at a very expensive new cat stove and the dealer wants $750 to deliver new stove onto the hearth and move the old one out to the front porch for it's next owner to retrieve. Porch is up one step from the front walk, door one step up from there, and hearth about 8ft from the door. Dealer is about an hour away.
Since I experience price shock everywhere I go, maybe this is reasonable, maybe not?
As always, thanks!

Looking at a very expensive new cat stove and the dealer wants $750 to deliver new stove onto the hearth and move the old one out to the front porch for it's next owner to retrieve. Porch is up one step from the front walk, door one step up from there, and hearth about 8ft from the door. Dealer is about an hour away.
Since I experience price shock everywhere I go, maybe this is reasonable, maybe not?
As always, thanks!
2 guys driving an hour there in a truck an hour of labor there and driving an hour home $750 isn't unreasonable. I mean probably $150 of that is just fuel. Then allow for 6 man hours

2 guys driving an hour there in a truck an hour of labor there and driving an hour home $750 isn't unreasonable. I mean probably $150 of that is just fuel. Then allow for 6 man hours
Thanks BHoller. When I had my first stove delivered. It took two guys less than an 1/2 hour to bring it and get it roughly centered under the flue opening. That was ten years ago and cost me all of $159. Even allowing for inflation and moving the old stove it seems high to me.
Have prices really gone up that much? More on more I find myself sounding like my Dad did when I was a kid. It's how much!!! :eek:

Thanks BHoller. When I had my first stove delivered. It took two guys less than an 1/2 hour to bring it and get it roughly centered under the flue opening. That was ten years ago and cost me all of $159. Even allowing for inflation and moving the old stove it seems high to me.
Have prices really gone up that much? More on more I find myself sounding like my Dad did when I was a kid. It's how much!!! :eek:
Yes it probably will only be a half hour or less. But generally there is a minimum hour charge.

Reactions: ridemgis
Idon't blame you a bit for asking, 750, yeah, top dollar
It is. But it's also an hour away. My price would be close to that unless I could schedule other jobs in the area to spread out the cost of drive time

As always, thanks!
Two friends, an appliance dolly, and a ratchet strap could do that for the price of some beers.