Manchester combustion catalyst not working. Need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eric plourde

Feb 12, 2021
Québec Canada
Hi everyone,

I purchased and installed a hearthstone manchester this november. I love it we use it everyday since i bought it as the main heat source.

This week we had a problem when engaging the bypass (catalyst). The window got black, the fire started to fade out as the temp go down. after reading the manual i found out the the catalyst may be clogged (full of creosote).

i removed the baffles (rear and front) as well as both catalyst. They were very clogged I washed them with cold water and they were all cleaned up very easily. when putting them back, one of them easily fitted in his space around the ceramic wool gasket that stayed in the opening. however, the other ceramic wool gasket got out and i had to tape it around the catalyst like instructed in the manual an putting it back in the opening. that was a fail.

i put it back and had to use a flat screw driver to put some wool ceramic all around the best as i could.

i did put back the rear and front baffles with the insulation pad back (they seemed well fixed). i started a fire right after. Wait till the catalyst gauge point to catalyst mode and then engage the bypass. Surprise... the catalyst mode doestn work. AND I can’t slow burn anymore.

if you have any idea that could help i would appreciate it. I plan to let it cool during the night remove the baffles tomorrow to inspect both catalyst. and maybe ensure that the baffles are well installed. I heard that the role of the baffles (insulation pads) is to redirect the flame back down to the fire. ( like it used to be when engaging the bypass)

thanks for reading guys.

Was there black creosote in the cat or grey ash?

Black creosote.

it took a few sec to wash it away on cold water.

i reinstalled the baffles and insulation pads this morning.

The slow combistion is back on and the wood stove is fully functional.

i noticed that there was a gap between 2 insulation pad on top front baffle. Moreover, maybe the whole assembly of the top (baffles and insulation pads) were not correctly thigh and well placed.

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
Great. It's good to be back in business.