Manchester minimum flue height confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rpwalton

Dec 15, 2022
Southern Missouri
From the owners manual:
"The recommended minimum chimney height is 10 feet (3 m) off the floor."
Not really sure what they mean...
Off the house floor, or off the floor of the stove firebox?
Seems like an odd way to specify flue height.
My house is a low one story with a shallow attic, so I was concerned about my short straight up flue at 13' 3" but it has worked fine so far.
We are at about 1200' elevation.
Thanks for any clarification.

Last edited:
My copy of the manual reads -
The recommended minimum chimney height is 15 feet (3 m) off the floor. The recommended maximum chimney height is 30 feet (9m).

13.5 ft is on the shy side, but if it's working then it may be ok.

Reactions: rpwalton
I need to check my paper copy, my quote of 10 ft was from an online copy of the manual...
I did just find a reference saying "The general rule of thumb is that the floor where the fire source (fireplace, wood stove) is located to the top of the chimney should never be less than 15 feet".
So when I measure from the floor of the firebox to the top of my flue it's about 15'1" so I'm OK with that, but if it ever acts up I can always add another foot or two to the top.

So this is from my hard copy of the manual that came with the stove, Manchester 8362.
According to this I'm about 2" below the minimum, but it seems to be working well so far.

20230402_095650.jpg