Mantel Clearance and shielding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jfog

Jan 21, 2021
bend oregon
I am planning on hearth mounting a Hearthstone Manchester 8362 in front of my existing masonry fireplace. I do not have the specified 24" of clearance from the top of the stove to my wood mantel, I have about 15". The owners manual doesn't specify if it is talking about a combustible mantel, or any mantel whatsoever. In the owners manual section talking about alcove clearances it states that clearances can be reduced with shielding, but does not specify by how much and to refer to NFPA-211. To make a long question short, is there anyway to make this work? I really do not want to move the mantel. Does even a non combustible mantel need 24"? If I shield the wood mantel will 15" be sufficient? I imagine the last question is only one an inspector can answer? Thanks!

Fireplace dimensions.jpg Mantel clearance.PNG

There is no clearance requirement for a non-combustible mantel.