Mantle over fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
I have a high ceiling and am going to be getting a fireplace with a stone surround that goes about 5 feet high. Above that I am still going to have the drywall framed. The installer is quoting $1k for a wood mantle on top of the fireplace. If I was looking to save cost could I not do it through the mendota dealer and rather leave it for now and do it later if I do feel a mantle is needed as a DIY? Mantles direct seems to have a lot for sale. I am just wondering how it would look without mantle for now and how easy is it to add a mantle later.

Are you planning on a full mantel with legs, or a simple mantel shelf?
Will it be encased IN the stone, or will it be mounted TO the stone?

Simple mantle shelf. The stone will go only 5 feet. To keep it simple I could install it on sheet rock above the stone.

Should look fine. Many fireplaces are installed with a simple stone facade & no mantel.
You may have to make sure the top edge of the stonework is absolutely level so it looks
aesthetically pleasing until you add the shelf.