Maple and silver maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That maple should be ready to burn next winter. If you can find some soft maple, you could cut that this spring and burn it next winter. You should also be able to find some dead or dieing white ash over there. Bugs have all left here because all our ash is already dead.

its just frustrating, i cut a bunch of sugar maple last fall cause its basically the only hardwood i have available, figuring that'd be my wood for next winter and this year summer/fall i could focus on getting 2 or 3 yrs ahead with my wood supply. Now i have to figure out what i can cut this summer that i can burn next winter. I dont want to resplit everything smaller and hope it'll be dry enough. Rather wait and have it fully dry and get the maximum potential out of my efforts, but that puts me behind the 8 ball for next winter. Guess i'll have to cut me some aspen soon as this stupid snow melts.
Do you have a moisture meter? Take a few splits and test them out and see where they are at.

On the recommendation of some very experienced people on this forum I went into Sliver Maple heavy this last year. I needed dry wood and I was told Silver Maple was the best bet for my area. Those experienced people were absolutly correct. This has been a toasty winter in my house and I have a nice clean chimney to boot. The soft Maples are life savers.

Status
Not open for further replies.