maple splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bpirger said:
I've had some red maple crotches and knots be a little stringy. I have the TroyBuilt spliter that has the welds made on the cylinder itself. I used to just let it power through and almost "cut" the wood, but after reading about the TroyBuilt failures at the cylinder welds (see a thread from this summer on the TroyBuilt) I don't let it push like that anymore. I just go for the easy split and I can throw the bigger curvy piece in the door of the Garn. That thread has me a little worried about the troybuilt, but it has been flawless for the 5 years I've owned it. Haven't met anything I couldn't split, but a few of these 24" beech rounds about 24" long I can't seem to pick up. I've almost though about trying to split the wrong way, vertically I mean. :)

My own take on the splitter failure . . . s#@t happens . . . anything made by a person can and will fail eventually . . . the design may not be the best, but it is what it is . . . the fact that you've gone five years with no issues should tell you something . . . I mean we can always worry about what could happen and I personally think it makes sense to baby the splitter a bit and not push it as hard knowing that this is a potential weak point . . . but it is what it is . . .

Final thought . . . the internet is good . . . and bad. You can do lots of research and get opinions on nearly every product made . . . but the one thing you'll soon discover is that if there is a problem in a product it can often be magnified greatly . . . a few bad experiences or failures can suddenly make it seem like this is a wide-spread problem when in fact the vast majority of folks with the product may not have a problem.

firefighterjake said:
bpirger said:
I've had some red maple crotches and knots be a little stringy. I have the TroyBuilt spliter that has the welds made on the cylinder itself. I used to just let it power through and almost "cut" the wood, but after reading about the TroyBuilt failures at the cylinder welds (see a thread from this summer on the TroyBuilt) I don't let it push like that anymore. I just go for the easy split and I can throw the bigger curvy piece in the door of the Garn. That thread has me a little worried about the troybuilt, but it has been flawless for the 5 years I've owned it. Haven't met anything I couldn't split, but a few of these 24" beech rounds about 24" long I can't seem to pick up. I've almost though about trying to split the wrong way, vertically I mean. :)

My own take on the splitter failure . . . s#@t happens . . . anything made by a person can and will fail eventually . . . the design may not be the best, but it is what it is . . . the fact that you've gone five years with no issues should tell you something . . . I mean we can always worry about what could happen and I personally think it makes sense to baby the splitter a bit and not push it as hard knowing that this is a potential weak point . . . but it is what it is . . .

Final thought . . . the internet is good . . . and bad. You can do lots of research and get opinions on nearly every product made . . . but the one thing you'll soon discover is that if there is a problem in a product it can often be magnified greatly . . . a few bad experiences or failures can suddenly make it seem like this is a wide-spread problem when in fact the vast majority of folks with the product may not have a problem.

And as a result of being problem free, they might NOT weigh in that fact; thus, as firefighterjake pointed out, contributing to an overly slanted view that a good product is poor quality, design, etc.

I'm one of those guys who darn near researches everything. I do not like hassles. I do not like buyer's remorse. But I also have had to deal with keeping all this great Internet info in perspective, which is hard to do sometimes.

I hand split about 2 cords a year with a maul. On occasion, I have some bad pieces, but usually they just pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.