Marathon Loogwood Add On boiler AOB24W with Ash Draw - How does the water actually get heated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ed_Lind

Jan 15, 2022
Maryland
I purchased a home that has a Marathon Logwood Wood Add On bolier. AOB24W. I have been burning it for a couple of weeks now and I cannot seem to get the water temp above 120 degrees.

My first question, how exactly is the water heated. Does the water pass through the grates under the fire or does is pass through coils above the fire?

Any suggestions?

Can you take some photos of both the inside and outside of the boiler when it's not running? These older models are basic. And the smallest thing will make it not run right.

I purchased a home that has a Marathon Logwood Wood Add On bolier. AOB24W. I have been burning it for a couple of weeks now and I cannot seem to get the water temp above 120 degrees.

My first question, how exactly is the water heated. Does the water pass through the grates under the fire or does is pass through coils above the fire?

Any suggestions?
Your post is a year old, so I don't know if you found an answer, b ut most wood boilers had a water jacket around the fire box. Wather goes in the top of the boiler and the return line is probably on the rear. If its only an addon boiler, it might be designed to heat to 120 degrees, before feeding the oil furnace. You save the oil needed to heat the water to 120 degrees. And there might be (ought to be) an aquastat that controls the temperature of the water going into the oil furnace.