Marco DF36b conversion to wood stove or wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggoodman

Jan 11, 2015
Tallahassee Florida
I have a Marco DF36B i would like to ditch and put an insert into the hole. there is a stone fassad that runs floor to ceiling I like and would like to keep it. The back of the chimney box is in the garage so I get to about anything from back by pulling some sheet rock down. I am very handy with framing finishing and a bit of masonry work.
I was thinking A:
A: pull the all of the insert out except the shell and put a rated wood stove incert and reline/insulate the chimney.

B: tear the entire fireplace insert out from the back via the garage and then put some type of wood stove insert in.

My goal here is to keep the stone.

House is a 2 story square with 880' down and 880' up. would kinda be neat if I could pull some heat into the garage when it's cold out as that is also my workshop. IMG_0237.JPG IMG_0238.JPG

Welcome. A woodstove can not be placed in the shell, unless it is an insert and unless the both the insert and fireplace are approved for the mating. The ZC could be removed from the rear, but I suspect there would be some stone demolition required around the perimeter, especially if the Marco has a flange attaching to the the stud framework. Once out it could be replaced if you can find an identically sized, or slightly smaller, but much more efficient EPA ZC fireplace to replace it. Depth would also have to match or the backside bumpout would need to be deepened. The stonework facade can be reparied. You might even re-use the same stone if you are carefully remove the old ones.

Reactions: bholler
I did some more poking around and I can get the ZC out with out destroying the stone work on the front. Chimney would be a piece of cake and the new unit could justslide in the back. What should I be looking for in terms of a brand or model for a SMALL ZC wood stove with front blower. I have no intrest in tying it into our HVAC we dont have enough heating days.

Existing opening it 27x35.75"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.