Masonry Fireplace Doors help???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

daveman92789

Oct 18, 2018
Willow Spring, NC
I have a masonry style fireplace that originally had no doors on it. I bought some doors to make it look a little nicer but i almost feel as if it doesn't radiate as much heat anymore. My thought process is because theirs a lip at the bottom that the coals left from the fire doesn't get to radiate out anymore because the doors block this so my question is when doors are installed, should the bottom of the fireplace be built up with firebricks???

See images below

Capture.PNG 25591782_10213628029482523_5487341675609924864_n.jpg Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically no, the base is not built up. Is the fireplace burning with the doors open?

Yes i keep the doors open and most of the time I'll keep the screen open because it blocks tons of heat. I've just noticed that it doesn't put out as much heat as it did when there wasn't doors but it looks way better with doors.

Unless you have Pyroceram in the doors, instead of Tempered Glass,
you are not supposed burn with them closed.
Tempered glass can shatter from the heat...

The only time the doors are closed is when the fire is out. It says on the box when you get the doors to leave them open during a fire. I wouldn't benefit from them being closed as i don't have a blower on my doors. The wood begins to pop during the fire then I'll close the screen.

This isnt an insert its just an assembly that clips to the face of the fireplace.

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: