Q&A Masonry Fireplace - Should I reline it for Gas or Wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a masonry fireplace. I would like to reduce the smell and increase the efficiency. Being in Tucson I don't need full time heat but like some localized heat on cold nights. I have been looking into both wood and gas fireplace inserts. This is apparently not a big market because I have found very limited info in this area. I am told by the manufacturer of a woodburning insert that I would need to reline my masonry chimney with single wall- 6" stainless steel pipe. It's a good idea and will give you better draft ! I understand the need for the reline but most dealers here don't know where to get the stainless steel pipe. Only one place knew about it but quoted $400-$500 for parts for a 10 ft chimney. About $10-12 per foot for the pipe- plus elbow- caps- the 5 foot flex pipe should be $140 or so Should be around $350. total for 6" pipe This seems quite expensive- is that realistic or do they really just not want to mess with it? Again that was just for parts- about 10' of straight and 1 section of flexible to bend thru the damper area. Sealing the damper around the 6" pipe was not included in the parts.
1. I like the idea of the enclosed gas insert systems and again I am told that the chimney would need to be relined- but with aluminum pipe.
2. But why wouldn't the same type of pipe as used for a gas furnace be used?
3. Also- can any inserts vent up a chimney or does the vertical rise cause too much venting in the direct vent models?

Answer:

1. Flex aluminum is cheap --about 110 for the whole kit
2. Yes- you can use B-Vent pipe if you prefer- but the flex is cool also.
3. Don't quite understand the last ?- but all gas inserts need relining- and you'll want one designed for use in a fireplace...most have 4" top flue.. Relining with wood may be optional- but I'd do it if I were you because of your short chimney (bad draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.