Masonry wall adapter - insulate it or leave as it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
such bad news...I must give this company a bad rating for not informing me of this before changing it nor giving a better option to consider...now to think that the one I had may have been a much better quality since I always cleaned it and was still looking good inside in over 15 yrs....with exception to the varied sizes it had inside......however, it did feel much stronger. but now I will have to keep a look out and inspect it more frequently over time while taking pics to see how it compares over time....but I will know after the first burning season ends while getting use to my new stove...
Unfortunately NYC is notorious for hack chimney sweep.

I would not clean that liner 2 to 3 times a year. That inner wall will be torn up in a few years at that. They are not durable because that inner wall is only .005 or .006 thick and is only attached on one edge. That edge is extremely easy to snag with a brush and distort or tear it.

just to make sure bholler, are you referring to a heavy steel liner or an aluminum liner?.....I was just reading about aluminum liners having the same quality and affects you had mentioned....??? my liner is a
  • 316L Grade stainless steel
  • UL Listed to 1777 zero clearance standard
are you referring to this type of liner?

I would have never installed it without insulation either the performance gains are well worth the effort of removing the clay tiles

just to make sure bholler, are you referring to a heavy steel liner or an aluminum liner?.....I was just reading about aluminum liners having the same quality and affects you had mentioned....???
Aluminum liners are not suitable for solid fuel burners they will melt.

Yes for solid fuel you need a stainless ul 1777 liner. You only need 304 for wood but 316 is fine. What you have is a suitable liner for wood. It is just the least durable liner available on the market that can work for your application.

And your liner is not zero clearance rated without insulation

Yes for solid fuel you need a stainless ul 1777 liner. You only need 304 for wood but 316 is fine. What you have is a suitable liner for wood. It is just the least durable liner available on the market that can work for your application.

And your liner is not zero clearance rated without insulation

Thank you...I will keep these ideas and info in mind for the day I have to reline it again and be better informed....I will see how it works this winter and if not, I will have the clay removed and the liner insulated before then which seem to be the better option before winter. I think I will call the installer tomorrow and have this conversation with them....i'm curious on what they will say...