Mass Heater, tigchelkachel: Anyone tried one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paulmlemay

Oct 30, 2016
Northern California
I have had cast iron wood stoves since I was a kid. I love wood heat. I'm very curious about mass heaters now. The type I am interested in, you burn a very hot fire for an hour or so, and then the mass of the brickwork holds and radiates the heat for 12 hours or more. They have an up-down flue so the hot smoke flows through a matrix of brick.

Very often these are built in place by a mason, and usually cost over $10,000. I have found one that's prefabricated and costs a bit less, called Tigchelkachel, made in the Netherlands. It weighs about 1,000 kilos, so should have some thermal mass.
Has anyone every tried one?

tigchelkachel6D.jpg

The guy i bought my boiler from had one in his showroom,made from soapstone if i remember right