Matra Premium Softwood Pellets

Lerxst

Sep 16, 2014
Johnston RI
Anyone have experience with these?

For the past 2 years I have been using Platinum Pellets (from Canada)

Matra is a soft wood from Maine. I'm having a tough time finding customer reviews. Figured I'd check here.

doghouse

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2008
maine
How much a ton? Where in Maine? Been burning for 13 years and I'd use softwood in a heart beat; providing they were reasonably priced.

Lerxst

Sep 16, 2014
Johnston RI
I am in RI, I don't have many options as to where I can buy from. I do have someone that would let me borrow a trailer to pick up, but I prefer that my pellets get delivered, so that cuts my options further. I can get these Matra pellets for $289 a ton, most likely on 1.2 ton pallets. I would get 3, for a total of 3.6 tons. I consider this reasonable for my area. Oh yeah $60 delivery fee for the whole order.

rich2500

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Berks County PA.
Being a White Pine pellet I would think they will burn good My favorite pellet is AWF white pines.

Lerxst

Sep 16, 2014
Johnston RI
Thanks rich
I went with a friends recommendation, and bought 4 tons of "Down East" pellets also from Maine.
I use a Harman P43 it can usually burn anything.

PelletFiend

Dec 2, 2010
Eastern MA
I am burning them now. Probably the cleanest pellet I’ve ever burned in nine seasons (2-3 tons per season).

They are not the hottest I’ve run, but pretty good. I think that while a pound of softwood might have a higher bru, they may be longer pellets and therefore don’t fit a lot in the auger tube to get dropped into the burn pot, so net not a lot of pellets per hour, and slightly lower heat.

My bags say they are from Canada, not Maine.