Maul/ fiskers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
Ok so the free 6lb maul I have been using is starting to go south. The fiberglass handle is fractured where the head is attached. So now the question is do I replace the handle
get a New fiskers or another 6lb maul. Currently I have benn splitting yellow locust and about two hits it breaks . I don't think the fiskers would do the same I think you need the weight to break it. Or am I just all wet and should take the plunge. I keep going back to what BIG RED says No Fiskers Needed. Sorry for the ramble ..

I love my X27. Try one, you'll be suprised @ what it can do.................

estang said:
Ok so the free 6lb maul I have been using is starting to go south. The fiberglass handle is fractured where the head is attached. So now the question is do I replace the handle
get a New fiskers or another 6lb maul. Currently I have benn splitting yellow locust and about two hits it breaks . I don't think the fiskers would do the same I think you need the weight to break it. Or am I just all wet and should take the plunge. I keep going back to what BIG RED says No Fiskers Needed. Sorry for the ramble ..

Get a Fiskers. You don't need the weight, just good form. When I first got my Fiskers I was disappointed until I got used to swinging it-then I was busting through pin oak (yes, pin oak-the kind with a billion knots) rounds in two or three whacks. I'll never use a maul again-the other nice thing about the Fiskers is that you don't realize how much longer you can go when you're not wasting energy swinging a huge hunk of steel.

If the maul is an older head or you have reason to to believe it is quality steel (made in US, Germany or other quality manufacturer) I vote for rehandling. There is a good video on You Tube by WrangleStar on how to do it. Just did mine and it was worthwhile. Only about $10.00 bucks for a good hickory handle. The head I rehafted holds and edge very well and the poll is extremely durable even though I've been known to abuse it from time to time.

Oh, and get a Fiskars too :cheese: . I use both, the Fiskars for good clean stuff and the maul for dried out knotty or otherwise nasty stuff that will dull the sharp edge of the Fiskars prematurely.

Attachments

• maul resized.jpg
    maul resized.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 341
  • maul resized 2.jpg
    maul resized 2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 339
  • maul resized 3.jpg
    maul resized 3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 316
estang said:

Heh?

I'm the biggest Fiskars pusher around here. In fact, I prefer the 2.25lb Pro-Spliiting ax to the 3.5lb Super Splitter (or whatever the new model designations are)

Badfish740 said:
estang said:

Get a Fiskers. You don't need the weight, just good form. When I first got my Fiskers I was disappointed until I got used to swinging it-then I was busting through pin oak (yes, pin oak-the kind with a billion knots) rounds in two or three whacks. I'll never use a maul again-the other nice thing about the Fiskers is that you don't realize how much longer you can go when you're not wasting energy swinging a huge hunk of steel.

Bingo-Bango

Bigg_Redd said:
estang said:

Heh?

I'm the biggest Fiskars pusher around here. In fact, I prefer the 2.25lb Pro-Spliiting ax to the 3.5lb Super Splitter (or whatever the new model designations are)
sorry thought it was you.

estang said:
Bigg_Redd said:
estang said:

Heh?

sorry thought it was you.
It was me. I don't have the problems using a maul like other people do. If I ever do find one of those long-handled Fiskars locally I am going to buy it though, if for no other reason than to say I have one.

quads said:
It was me. I don't have the problems using a maul like other people do. If I ever do find one of those long-handled Fiskars locally I am going to buy it though, if for no other reason than to say I have one.

It's not that I have problems using a maul, it's just that the Fiskars is a superior tool. Kind of like how my old McCulloch 610 is a great saw and very powerful, but my dad's Stihl 026 is just as powerful (possibly a little more) but much lighter. It makes a big difference after a few hours of bucking.

Every tool has a designed purpose. In my opinion, if you're halving rounds bigger than 12-14" diameter, a traditional maul is probably a better tool, at least it is for me so far, I'm having a hard time learning to love the Fiskars...though I have high hopes that my warranteed replacement X27 will work better for me than the one I've been using. My old double headed chopping axe does about as good a job as the X27 I have on splitting halves and quarters and is half the weight of the X27, my 8lb yellow handled old fashioned splitting maul is superior in the big stuff to the X27.

Badfish740 said:
quads said:

It's not that I have problems using a maul, it's just that the Fiskars is a superior tool. Kind of like how my old McCulloch 610 is a great saw and very powerful, but my dad's Stihl 026 is just as powerful (possibly a little more) but much lighter. It makes a big difference after a few hours of bucking.

eggzackary

I didn't have a problem with my 290, it's just that my new saw works better in every way.

Howdy Group - I'm an old coot (just shy of 65) and have just started working with the wood. I'm out of shape, have a bit of the COPD (45 years of Marlboros), somewhat arthritic hands and lead a pretty sedentary life.

Got my X25 Fiskars from Amazon a couple of days ago and yesterday I went out to attack my first rounds. I was worried that I would be bouncing the tool of the tops of the wood. I was working with mostly new Ash and some old Oak, mostly 12" to 15" diameter.

Once I got a bit of technique down (learning to drop and pull the head straight down and got my footing right (took about 10 min) I was getting about half one strike splits, 35% two strike splits and the other 15% took three wacks. this was only on the whole rounds and not sections of the original round.

Then picked up the 6 lb. Truper fiberglass handled maul I also bought. Fuggetaboutit!

It took me a third to half again as many strikes on the wood to get the same results and after about 12-15 hits I was finished for the day. I could have gone another 30 min. or so with the Fiskars. The maul also gave me a bit of a beating on my hands but the orange and black tool left me without hand stress. Granted there might me more technique needed to learn the finer points of the maul.

To make a long story short, as long as I'm swinging it'll be a Fiskars.

Littlalex

Status
Not open for further replies.