Max surface temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stdyhand

Aug 26, 2015
Missouri
I have a wood pro 2.0 stove I bought last year. Due to the very mild winter we had in southern Missouri we hardly had to burn the stove and rarely had to burn it hot enough to maintain warmth. I have a mobile home, approximately 1200 sq. ft. I am burning seasoned oak at the moment which has been seasoning for over a year. The wood lights easy and burns hot. This winter is already kicking off much cooler than last year and to maintain enough warmth I have to burn the stove much hotter. I prefer to keep it at 80 degrees in the house, any cooler and it seems to have physical as well as mental affects. So far the hottest the stove has went is 550 degrees F.

I have a surface mount temperature alarm which triggers at 500 degrees. I also have a flue temperature probe and the alarm is set to trigger at 650 degrees F but usually it burns around 300-400 for the flue.

My question is can I burn hotter than 500 degrees?

I feel like I need to burn hotter at times but from watching the fire it doesn't seem safe. When the surface temperature hits 500 degrees the fire inside is really blazing and even when I close the damper it seems like the fire is making its own weather inside and is somehow pulling in oxygen still from somewhere, despite the stove being air tight. The door seal and ash plug seal are fine and I don't see any cracks in the steel so I don't know why closing the damper seems to make no difference on the fire beyond 500 degrees. When it is less than 500 I can close the damper and the fire will immediately start to die down but beyond 500 closing the damper may not make any difference. Last night I had to turn on a big fan to blow the heat away from the stove because the temperature climbed to 550 with the damper closed and was continuing to rise. Once I turned the fan on it started cooling things down enough to kick off the alarm but I had to leave the damper closed.

My biggest complaint about this stove is the air intake. It seems like it is either fully open or fully closed and there is no in between as far as trying to maintain a medium burn. This stove also eats the wood like crazy. It has to be loaded every 2-3 hours. I usually throw wood in and close the damper at bed time and when it cools down too much the electric heat takes over so I don't wake up to a freezing house.

Yes, you can burn hotter than 500F in a steel stove. Our stove daily cruises up to the 650F+ mark. I would set the alarms higher, maybe 750F for the stove top and flue.

Last edited:
My stove seems to peak around 700-750. Then it will cruise in the high 600's and slowly taper off from there. You definitely have some room to crank it up.

I have a wood pro 1500 next size down from you and also in a mobile home 1200sf I usually don't start to damp it down till stove top hits 500 and the about a quarter inch every 10 minutes stove top rises to about 625-650 and will cruise there for about 1.5-2 hours then starts to drop down to about 450-500 for another couple hours. Temps got into the 20s last night and I loaded it up about 9 o'clock had it cruising by 935 and went to bed. Woke up at 530 this morning stove top was at 300 with good coals and the house was at 73... so I agree let er rip.. with the bigger firebox you should be able to go longer than 2-3 hours.. load it up get it cut down and let the secondaries do there thing.

My stovetop peaks at about 700F and flue surface at 24" from stove at 600F. Normal operating is 550-600 top, 350-450 flue for me. I'll run it up about 50
or so hotter for an hour once every day or two to clean things out as I damp down for nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.