Maybe I should have kept the Russo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
Had originally posted this in someone else's post on excessive coaling. Afterwards I realized that is a no-no.

I have an Englander 13 & have the same problem. During the shoulder season, everything seemed OK. now, burning full time, I spend half the day moving coals around trying to get them burnt up. I've been heating with wood for over 30 years & never had this problem until I installed the NC-13 this year.

The stove is installed in a masonry fireplace. Ten feet of factory insulated oval Duraliner & five feet of duraflex with the insulating sleeve. Damper area is insulated & blocked off. Fan is on low. Wood is cut & split small enough to load NS. It was all cut, split & stacked in May of 07. In Oct. of 07 it was covered with the left over shrink wrap from my boat. The cover is tented at least 2' above the wood so there is good air flow. I have no problem getting a secondary burn. It just seems like there is not enough air flow at the level of the coals with to much of it going to the tubes up top. The draft does appear to be very good. I can hear the air being sucked in.

Stacking the coals up in front of the center air intake allows that section to SLOWLY burn down. However the rest of the box basically goes out. I have tried putting splits around the outside brick with the coals in the middle. That helps but the outside pieces burn to coals before the middle is burnt down. Just the coals alone don't give enough heat output. Have also tried burning them down with the assistance of cut up 130 year old boards left from remodeling my house.

With my old Russo hooked up with just a direct connect, I never had any problem & heated my whole house last year while only using about 75 gal. of oil as a supplement. The only time that ever smoked was for the first 15 minutes after I loaded it up at bedtime. Basically the rest of the time, you never knew I had a stove going. I also did not have to keep fussing all the time. Wood consumption seems to be the same.

I wonder if I made a mistake giving up the Russo?

Al

Seems to be quite a few smaller stove owners having the same problem. The olny thing I can think of is burn hotter fires with more air and smaller splits during the day and load it up with larger splits for those overnight burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.