Maybe I'm wrong but !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemer

Feb 26, 2008
Northeast Pa
Maybe I'm wrong but on a EKO wouldn't it make sence to have one fan feed the primary and one control the secondry and all you would have to do is adjust the fan covers?

It's a real bummer to be wrong all the time. :cheese: just kidding.

Kemer,

Maybe. I suppose it depends if the primary/secondary required air ratio remains more less constant across the range. If it is, than getting the ratio set, then adjusting the total air volume via the fan speed through the controller would make for a simpler system. If not, then being able to independently adjust the primary / secondary air feeds would be better, but would take more attention and fiddling to get right. I guess the ultimate system would be closer to modern automotive engines, with sensors at all key points, and a computer to make the best decisions based on conditions. Probably, in a few more years, that is what the new wood burners will look like. However, the EKO is a quantum leap over the older simple wood furnaces/boilers. Based on all the input on this forum, I have my EKO 60 running pretty darn well, with a beautiful blue flame that looks just like an efficient gas furnace would. That doesn't mean it can't be done better though, or at least to delegate the major decision making to a more sophisticated controller, probably with additional sensors. Our kids can buy those however, as I am having way too much fun adjusting the "carbs" on the EKO downstairs now. The only thing it's missing is points and condenser, and I could give it a tuneup every 3,000 hours or so!

Status
Not open for further replies.