McCoullough Mac Chainsaw Advice...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
Hiya people... I'm in the market for a decent chainsaw for a BUDGET price. I don't have too much experience with them right now, so I don't want anything too powerful until I get comfortable with the machine. I saw a McCullough Mac chainsaw with case and extra saw (for parts) fro $75 locally. Any experience with McCoullough out there? Seems like a good deal for $75. I won't be taking down more than one or two trees a year.

Thanks for the input!

Any other good chainsaws I should be keeping an eye out for (at a reasonable price)?

The Dali Lima said:
Hiya people... I'm in the market for a decent chainsaw for a BUDGET price. I don't have too much experience with them right now, so I don't want anything too powerful until I get comfortable with the machine. I saw a McCullough Mac chainsaw with case and extra saw (for parts) fro $75 locally. Any experience with McCoullough out there? Seems like a good deal for $75. I won't be taking down more than one or two trees a year.

Thanks for the input!

Any other good chainsaws I should be keeping an eye out for (at a reasonable price)?
Yes those mac 10 are pretty cool saw!

Is that the Mini-mac with the 12 bar? I have one that i got for 50 bucks a few years back. It is not a bad little say at all except for the manual chain lubing (push the lever). It is a loud little guy but sits well in one hand for limbing and misc stuff. My only real know id that once through one tank of gas, i think it gets too hot and I have trouble getting it restarted. A good unit but nothing earth shattering here.

Yes, I believe it was the mini-mac. I don't know what it has for the bar. I'll have to find out more, but the picture looked brand new.

The Dali Lima said:
Yes, I believe it was the mini-mac. I don't know what it has for the bar. I'll have to find out more, but the picture looked brand new.
I have only seen them with a 10 in but iam sure there are some 12in

mac was a premium brand, driven into the ground by poor decisions. the old saws were great. the new ones are name only, made in (hong kong? or china?) by the holding company. I know parts for newer ones are bit of a problem to find.

for any significant firewood work, absolutely not IMO. for yard triming, and handy around the house, maybe.
For a throwaway saw, I'd still lean to the Poulan/craftsman/husky, all made my Poulan. Nothing to brag about, but durable, easy to get parts, and can do limiteda mounts of firewood duty. Last a long time with occasional use. Most are stored with old gas though, so for occasional use, drain and run dry, or use stabil, or both.

k

Status
Not open for further replies.