McCulloch Pro Mac 610 Oiler Swap Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian C.

Dec 12, 2010
Flint MI
Hello all. Got a couple old McCulloch Pro Mac 610 chainsaws, combined them into one good runner.

Put a carb kit in and fired it up today and it ran good. Automatic oiler wasn't working though. Manual oiler worked fine. Figured I'd swap the part saw's oiler over real quick and see what she does. Well soon as I fired it back up she was screamin lean. Bad. Shut it down pretty quick.

Couldn't figure out why it would do that, so I started lookin at the mount holes for the oiler and it kind of looks like they might pierce the crank? All I did was undo the screws on both and swap the one over and tightened it down real good but that didn't seem to do the trick. It also kind of looked like someone had originally put some clear silicone on each of those 4 mount screws. Do you have to meticulously clean & seal each of those mount screw hole threads when swapping the oiler?!!?

Auto oiler works off crankcase pressure - holes do open into oiler. Is the gasket against the bottom of crankcase (where crank lobes travel - clamshell part) in good shape/not torn? It's a funny gasket - like 6 or 8 holes in it.
Parts are hard to find on 610 oiler. When I've had the saw and auto bad - I just use manual - it's rarely bad.

My Dad has a PM610 from 1989. He has swapped Oilers a couple times and it seems the auto Oiler never works for long. I agree with Doug. Just get in the habit of using the manual button and let her eat some wood.