Measuring Chimney Liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheechchi

Nov 13, 2008
NY
Hi All 1st time on here.
I have an old Scandia 320 Insert Woodburning stove which was my parents. It is in excellent condition and from what I remember it used to put out some serious heat. I know its not the highest quality stove but hey it looks good and it was free.

I am trying to figure out what size flu liner I need. My flu is really big approx. 8"X 14” . I know this is way to big. I want to know if it is necessary to insulate the liner too? Is there a calculation that I can figure out the size liner I need? The door opening is 14” high X 17” wide. The opening in the rear of the stove is 4.5"X14.5". Please help me out.
Cheech

For an old unit it probably use 8" liner but maybe one of the more seasoned members will know more specifically. Most of the units now come with a 6" round collar on them instead of a giant rectangular opening.

The liner size can be determined two ways: mathematically or practically.

Mathematically: the existing flue opening has a cross-sectional area of 65 sq.in, which would be the equivalent of a 9" round flue liner. The closest available liner size is 8" round.

Practically: I know of only one manufactured rectangle-to-round "boot" that will fit a 4.5 x 14.5 opening, and it converts to 8" round.

Status
Not open for further replies.