Mechanical Sampson Draft not working or am I an idiot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
OK I finally installed the Samson today after I fixed the leak I had in the piping. We have been running the wood boiler without a automatic draft control installed and just keeping an eye on it and its been fine. Have a over temp zone and it only went on a few times.

While installing the draft control I noticed it didnt appear to be in what I would think is the COLD position. IE the moving part in the draft control with the lock screw to hold the draft arm was pointing DOWN when it was cold. THats the position Id expect it to be when it gets hot, IE move the arm to the lowest postion. I have the unit installed with this lock screw facing outward over the door side facing away from the boiler. With the unit already in the DOWN position it means the only way it could move is UP. I figured id fire it up and follow the directions you gave Craig gave me in a different thread. Got the boiler temp to 180 deg and the draft didnt move but I set the chain to just hold the door open sllightly. The boiler temp got up to 200 and my overtemp aqustat kicked in and no movement.

I also did have the draft control knob set to 80 as craig suggested.

So Im at a loss. THere is tension on the knob so I think its working…

Is the draft control soposed to be facing the other direction? IE the moving part with the locking screw to hold the arm soposed to be facing inward over the top of the boiler and toward the back? THen again the boiler got hot and it never moved,,.,,

Any thoughts? Did I get a bum unit?

Phil

I got ahold of someone in tech support at Samson appears the cartrage is bad on my unit and getting a new one sent out. Also I had it mounted 180 deg reversed. THe set screw should face away from the draft door.

Ill post a thread with the info I found.

~ Phil

Phil,

Could you provide some info on where you got your samson unit? I also have a boiler in which my draft control is not working. I took it apart and found that the interior is soldered together with a spring acting as the expanding mechanism which will move the mechanical lever for the draft. I tried to fix it but with no success and have been searching ever since to find a new one when I stumbled on this forum. Please help.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.