Medicine smell from ash charcoal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Majority of our seasoned wood are ash and some oak and maple. Any of you ever experience charcoals smell kind of like isopropyl alcohol? We definitely pick that up before, and it's more definitely more pronounced tonight when I was reloading.

I've smelled that before as well while reloading. It seems to be strongest when you reload very soon after the wood stops burning and coals. To me it smells like magic markers. I've also smelled it before at a friend's house so it's just not my stove. What it is I don't know but it seems like a maple/boxelder thing.

Reactions: excessads
I've smelled that before as well while reloading. It seems to be strongest when you reload very soon after the wood stops burning and coals....

That seems to be the point I usually pick up the strongest smells, good or bad. Sometimes when I burn slightly punky or beetle kill wood that had beetle burrows in it I pick up an odor that is hard to explain other than stink...I don't know if I would call it a medicinal smell though. But I might be able to see how someone else would. From observing the burrows the insects seem to chew through the wood and crap out their rear end into the burrow they just made filling and plugging it up with a compacted dust like material. I assume this material also contains the remnants of the bug's digestive enzymes which is what I assume causes the funky odor when burned. When I burn wood that has no punk or beetle burrows I don't smell the funky odor.

Reactions: excessads
Methanol used to be made from wood so any unburned wood {charcoal?} may be giving off a small amount of methanol.

That's a good thought. I burn a lot of ash, but never noticed the smell. I have a 25 ft., straight up flue, so I don't get any smoke or smell, so I might have missed it.

Reactions: Jmatz
Is it similar to what you might smell coming off a really hot burning charcoal grill fire? I recall reading somewhere that a few ketones are produced by really hot charcoal combustion and it makes a certain smell...

Is it similar to what you might smell coming off a really hot burning charcoal grill fire? I recall reading somewhere that a few ketones are produced by really hot charcoal combustion and it makes a certain smell...
In that environment, if I smell alcohols, I won't be surprised if they were ketones, just a carbon n few hydrogens away....

Reactions: spirilis
Pignut smells like "oinkment"

bob

Burning beetles?

Status
Not open for further replies.