Memorial Day burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
front came through last night, we were out of town with the windows open, and got back about 1AM. It was down to 62 in the house..Lit a small fire this morning when I got up but knew it would be up to 80 today. No biggy, just wanted to wish you all a happy Memorial Day.

We burned the air conditioners most of the day for the first time.

The summer humidity finally made it to DC, and the A/C went on saturday. Will perhaps go back off in september. I still can't believe people settled here before A/C.

DiscoInferno said:
I still can't believe people settled here before A/C.

We never had AC back in NY where I grew up nor in CT where I lived. At one point I worked in attics installing ductwork and wiring in the summer. Boy, that's one experience I was really glad to leave behind. Nothing like being dehydrated, sticky and itchy in 95% humidity. All I wanted was a lake to dive into.

BeGreen said:
DiscoInferno said:
I still can't believe people settled here before A/C.

We never had AC back in NY where I grew up nor in CT where I lived. At one point I worked in attics installing ductwork and wiring in the summer. Boy, that's one experience I was really glad to leave behind. Nothing like being dehydrated, sticky and itchy in 95% humidity. All I wanted was a lake to dive into.

I grew up in upper MI, and we also had no A/C. It wasn't hot all that often, but when it was it was rough. Luckily, we did have a lake to jump into (Lake Superior). Of course, it's 45-50 degrees F even in the summer. A bit brisk.

Now my parents, who back then claimed A/C was an unnecessary extravagance, have central A/C in their new house. But to be fair, the summers are hotter there now, with a lot more 90 degree days. Our place in Munising does not have A/C, but a few days each summer I spend a lot of time in the basement.

I'm still burning daily. It was 43 outside this morning but will warm up into the 70s today. The wife even started the fire for like the second time ever on Sunday since I had left at 5 AM to mow pastures. The good news is that I got a new ceiling fan installed yesterday and it silently moves a lot of heat around the house. So nice. I was in the hot attic, on my belly, on top of fiberglass, and pulling wire.

We lit the stove a few times last week and are roasting this week. Feels more like July or August than May.

Status
Not open for further replies.