Mendota FV33i Leveling Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oldbat

Dec 28, 2019
Massachusetts
This Fall, we installed a gas insert (FV33i) in what used to be a wood burning fireplace with a raised hearth. We removed the raised hearth extension earlier, added a floor level hearth, and are now turning to tiling and mantel.

The gas insert currently sits on top of 3 cut pieces of hardieboard (hardiebacker?), topped with a thin piece of steel. Both the steel and the hardiboard mimic the outline of the insert, but are slightly larger. The hardieboard sits on top of 5 bricks strategically placed. We did this to raise the unit but I would like to further raise it about 1/2 inch using the leveling bolts.

The following is from the Mendota installation manual. I'm now questioning whether we should be using the leveling bolts at what will be around the 1" max and also wondering whether the base brick layer should be a solid layer, based on the quote.

4.6.1 Leveling Bolts Definition Four leveling bolts are included in the manual package. The leveling bolts allow for a ¼” minimum to 1” maximum leveling ability. Leveling bolts are designed to adjust for uneven fireplace floors and yield plumb Insert Body. Use the leveling bolts only if the fireplace floor is more than ¼” out of level from one side to another or from front to back. If the fireplace floor is less than ¼” out of level, use metal sheet shims in various thickness and build up to needed leveling thicknesses at various points around the appliance. The leveling bolts supplied are designed specifically for application with this product. only use leveling bolts supplied by Mendota and for leveling purposes only. Never use leveling bolts for purposes of lifting unit up to make up for ash lip heights or other lifting or raising needs. Such use can cause extreme thermal expansion of firebox floor and can result in oil canning noise or louder thermal expansion and constriction banging noise. SUCH NOISE PROBLEMS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER MENDOTA WARRANTY

I'm including a picture of the set-up. Are we ok to continue? Thanks in advance, Karen

IMG_0853.jpg IMG_0854.jpg

I think you'll be ok, but don't use the levelling bolts.
Use another piece of two of Hardibacker under the
unit to raise it & mitigate the chance of "Oil Canning."
That can be pretty loud when it happens.