Mendota vs. FPX vs. Town and Country

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thomase

Sep 20, 2017
Massachusetts
We are looking for a propane-fueled fireplace for our family room. The room is 15'x22' and has 7.5' high walls and a vaulted ceiling with a peak at about 10'. There is a single 6' wide opening to the next room (kitchen) along the 22' long side. The fireplace will be in the middle of the adjacent 15' wall nearer to the opening to the kitchen.

There is a reason why I'm giving room dimensions. I'm looking for something with a clean face (all glass, no louvers, controls, or manufacturer markings) and I initially was set on a Mendota FV34. Two of the 3 dealers I talked to (one of which carried the Mendota and one that didn't) were concerned that even the smallest Mendota unit (FV34) will put out so much heat relative to the size of the room that I won't be able to run it for very long time before overheating. When I argued that the flame can be turned down, they argued what's the point of buying such a nice unit when I can't enjoy the flame for longer.

Both recommended a Town and Country unit as a possible alternative. They said that these units are designed for relatively low heat output relative to the size of the flame (i.e. low efficiency). In other words, you burn extra BTUs to make a nice big flame, but much of the heat goes out of the large direct vent pipe.

One of the 2 dealers also highly recommended the Fireplace X 864 TRV. He claimed that although the rated efficiency is closer to the Mendota unit than the T&C, in practice I'll get less intense heat than I would from the Mendota, one reason being that it uses tempered glass rather than ceramic glass. He also preferred the FPX to the T&C due to better manufacturer support, though admitting that the T&C is still nicer looking.

The downside is that I don't like the design of the FPX quite as much as the Mendota or T&C.

Any opinions and or anecdotes are appreciated!

The tow and country is great but very little heat. Mendota is great; heat transfer plus the smart thermostat makes it easy for you

Are you a Mendota employee or salesperson?

Are you a Mendota employee or salesperson?
I sell fireplaces and have sold all brands since 2004. Can’t wait to see what’s to come at the HPBA this year. Town and Country typically isn’t going to be great for this persons area. No blower and a larger pipe that dumps the heat outside. The FPX has a great build however being in the Northeast it gets cold and having tempered may not be the way to go on cold times of the year, and may not keep up. I have a Mendota in the same size room, in Wisconsin. My unit is perfect, especially since I can dump heat to my basement. I run a FV41, just surprised they didn’t bring up their heating options with a transfer kit

great info here guys. ACDKali, can you tell me a little bit about that transfer heat on the Mendota. None of the showrooms mentioned it. I could dump some heat in the room above the fireplace. How does it work?