Metal Fab Class A Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
Metal Fab makes a Class A chimney pipe called Temp Guard Max. The clearance for the pipe is 1.5" and it comes in a Stainless Steel outer and Galvanized outer finish.

My question is, is the galvanized pipe (still has stainless steel inner) ok to use?

I thought I read somewhere that the galvanized pipe was not legal... Not sure if this is true or not...

Also, if most of the pipe is going to be in a chase is there any issues with using galvanized exterior finished pipe? Is it easier to paint?

Thanks

In a chase it will be fine. I'd switch to stainless for the exterior.

Can I switch to stainless from galvanized once it penitrates the roof?

I think that's what Dairyman meant. You'd want to use stainless if the pipe is going to be exposed to the weather elements (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Galvanized is ok to use as long as it's protected within a chase.

Can I switch to stainless from galvanized once it penitrates the roof?
Yes. FWIW I have galvanized on our greenhouse chimney. 5 yrs old and it looks great.

Reactions: NVHunter
Status
Not open for further replies.