Metal plate in ash pit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
Here's a new one , I was raking ashes out of the EKO and felt something hard turns out it was a flat metal plate about 1 1/4 " x 3 1/2 " maybe 1/16 thick with a tack weld mark at each end !!! What the heck it this , is my baby falling apart already it's only been in service about six weeks. Seems like it's still runnung ok can anyone shed some light on this ? Seems like it must be from the exchanger area as it was way in the back on the left side where it was found.
Thanks
Tony

Tony H said:
Here's a new one , I was raking ashes out of the EKO and felt something hard turns out it was a flat metal plate about 1 1/4 " x 3 1/2 " maybe 1/16 thick with a tack weld mark at each end !!! What the heck it this , is my baby falling apart already it's only been in service about six weeks. Seems like it's still runnung ok can anyone shed some light on this ? Seems like it must be from the exchanger area as it was way in the back on the left side where it was found.
Thanks
Tony

Dunno. I've heard the story about auto workers leaving soda bottles inside car doors. Maybe this is the Polish equivalent ;-)

Could be a piece of scrap from the construction process. I'd take the cover off the top back and check the turbulator mechanism.

Last night while I had the system apart for cleaning ashes and sealing up the flue, I took a flashlight to the secondary air tubes just to see the 3 and 9 positions ofthe tubes - and I found a long piece of twisted steel wire in the right tube. It didn't seem to be doing anything so I took it out. Again, probably just leftovers from construction. Makes you wonder about those ISO/TUV quality control processes though.

Tony H said:
Thanks
Tony

I'd send a photo of it to whoever you bought the boiler from. Sounds like a part that somebody tacked into place but forgot to finish welding. I'd certainly make your dealer aware of (and acknowledge) the situation and see what they say. The problem with boiler warranty claims is that you can't very well send it back for inspection.

Thanks for the comments. I think I will take a picture and send it in just in case it turns out to be a major issue thanks Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.