Metal Roof Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sloeffle

Minister of Fire
Mar 1, 2012
Central Ohio
I have a 40x80 barn with a metal roof. The current roof was installed about 15 years ago, and has a Kynar 500 finish. A few of the articles I found online say to spray the roof with detergent and then use a brush to clean it. I have thousands of square feet of roof so that probably won't work. I have a pressure washer and thought about pressure washing it from a man lift.

Anybody have any experience in this arena, and if so, can you share your thoughts and experience. What about spray and forget type products ?

The best stuff I have used (outside of HVAC coil cleaners) at cutting dirt and grime is Davies DC-99. Spray it on, let it do it's thing for a bit and then power wash it off.

Zep's Truck & Trailer wash also does a good job. It's what I use to wash my ATV to get the dirt film off.

Reactions: sloeffle
A few of the articles I found online say to spray the roof with detergent and then use a brush to clean it.
Substitute "push broom" (not a real stiff bristle) for "brush" and you are good to go...just make sure you don't step where there is soap/detergent...it tends to be a lil slick, the right shoes help with that though too.
If you use a nice wide broom, it doesn't take long to get a fairly big area done...I assuming this is a roof that is not too steep to walk on when its wet.

Reactions: sloeffle
If you use a nice wide broom, it doesn't take long to get a fairly big area done...I assuming this is a roof that is not too steep to walk on when its wet.
The side next to the road is pretty steep, and is about a 20' from the gutter to the ground. My plan is to rent a lift and work from that. It will probably take longer that way but I think it's much safer route.

Last edited:
The best stuff I have used (outside of HVAC coil cleaners) at cutting dirt and grime is Davies DC-99. Spray it on, let it do it's thing for a bit and then power wash it off.
I've read some stories about some of these cleaners dis-coloring paint, any issues you've noticed with either of the cleaners you mentioned ? Called Davies this morning and they did say they ship to OH.

I've read some stories about some of these cleaners dis-coloring paint, any issues you've noticed with either of the cleaners you mentioned ? Called Davies this morning and they did say they ship to OH.

The Zep stuff, no, but I can't say on the Davies. I don't think I've ever used it on anything painted, and if I did I did not notice any staining. I'd definitely work one small area at a time, regardless of what cleaner you use.