Metal roof flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
I have read through numerous posts about using excel flashing around the chimney,so if it slips underneath roof at the top it means I have to cut open my roof more to slip it under.guy that installed my roof butchered it terribly and because my chimney is 30 years old I'm changing it out.i have had a rubber boot on there for 10 years with no leaks but from discussions on this forum excel flashing is the way to go.my concern is what if the flashing edge ends up on a roofing rib then what.just not sure or confident to go about this way.can I get a little guidance. Thanks.a video would surely help us

I don't have a video, but here are a couple pictures. It gets notched to conform to the seam. HTH.

Excel_metal flashing.jpgexcel_metal_flash_close.jpg

Instructions are here:

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply and just don't feel confident that I can install this without screwing up.as I said guy that installed metal roof really butchered it up.jagged edges where the chimney comes through the metal.real mess.probably go with the square boot as if there's a video I might try flashing.having hard enough time just trying not to slide off the roof lol

If the existing flashing it tight & not leaking, let it be, Just run the new pipe through, and install a new storm collar. Does the existing pipe need replacement, or are you just doing it cause you feel like it?

Needs replacement as it is over 30 years old and I want to be safe as well I'm installing a new osburn 2300.i heat entirely with wood