Midwinter cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thunderhead

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2019
Seattle - Eastside Foothills
I have a PE T5 and a just snaked one of those little phone borescopes above the baffle to take a look into the chimney pipe. It only is looking at the bit just above the stove though. Does that tell me anything, or do I really need to take a look at the top of the chimney? Should I pull the baffle so I can get the whole phone in there for better photos?

For what it's worth, the first 5 inches of the stove pipe just above the stove looks quite clean to me(2.5 cords mixed west coast conifers since its last cleaning):

Screenshot_20210207-135059_OTG_View[1].jpg

Thanks!

How long is your borescope? I would duct tape it to a sweeping rod and stick it up as far as you can. There is usually more gunk at the top than the bottom.

Reactions: EbS-P